Please sign in to post.

train from Budapest to Ljubljana

In his book, Rick says there is a direct, mid day, 9-hr train from Budapest to Ljubljana. Can anyone confirm that this is still the case? Does direct mean that you do not get off the train at all? I can't figure out the route from his rail chart. What is the approximate cost?
Thanks.

Posted by
188 posts

We went the opposite direction--Ljub. to Budapest in July 2007. Our tickets cost about 55 Euros for 2 people (one way)--spezial. We did not have to get off the train the whole time--many stops but for 1 or 2 minutes. We were not very savy train users and suffered because of it. Our train was not air-conditioned (in 40 degree Celsius weather), not able to purchase additional beverages or food, and IC does not mean a fast or modern train.

However, we did make it to our destination with quite a story to tell when we returned home! (Like rationing our drinking water and having the conductor sell me Coke from his private car to ward off heat exhaustion and dehydration.)

My suggestion for you is to find out from the English speaking ticket seller (Our Hungarian conductor didn't speak English--some German) what the details are regarding stops, food, etc. Being better prepared than we were should make a BIG difference for you. Our train was an IC train and went through Hodos not Zagreb so that could make a difference too. Here's a website with some info:
http://www.slo-zeleznice.si/en/international_transport/international_links/hungary/budapest/

Posted by
1358 posts

Look for a source of RR tickets on the web and use the toll-free phone number to ask your questions.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks to both of you. The link was very helpful.

Posted by
79 posts

Yes, we took this train in 2005

It was an 8 hour journey and you do go through Croatia, so you will extra border check with passport control coming on board. Keep your passport and ticket handy.

There was not ANY food or water until 1/2 way through Croatia at about the 6.5 hour mark a man came through with a cart.

You can NOT get off the train as each stop is very very quick!

We had planned to buy food at the station in Budapest but there was a glitch with that (very very very long story)

so we also had to ration water and a bag of pretzels.

Also, we had 1st class eurail pass..we used that BUT at that time we were required to add a reservation to that.

Posted by
233 posts

I took the 8.5 hour train from Ljubljana to Budapest for 29 euros in 2006. It left Ljubljana at 7:40 am and arrived after 4 pm (so I assume there is a similar trip the opposite way). My passport was checked and stamped NUMEROUS TIMES along the way, and I never could figure out exactly the route we followed. I didn't get off the train, and since I was alone, I even took my pack to the bathroom (bring toilet paper!). I had brought a lot of food and drink, so the trip was long but fine. And it was tons cheaper than flying!