Please sign in to post.

Santorini

Hello Travel People, I am going on RS tour to Greece in June of 2009. I would like to go a few days early so I can go see the island of Santorini. How easy is it to get to from Athens? How long does it take from boat? Any other advise/information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Angela

Posted by
3120 posts

There are daily ferries from Athens/Piraeus to Santorini. The two most popular ferry companies are Blue Star (regular ferry) and Hellenic Seaways (highspeed ferry). Both have websites. Blue Star takes 8 hours, HS takes 4.5 hours. Blue Star costs about 35 euro for an economy ticket, HS costs around double that. Schedules for next June won't be available until late April.

Aegean Airlines flies to Santorini from Athens in about 45 minutes. If you keep an eye out on their website you may be able to catch a discount promo fare of 39 euro, all taxes included.

http://www.aegeanair.com/

If you want easy walking-distance access to the island's youth-oriented nightlife focus your hotel search on Fira and Firostefani. If you want peace and quiet look in Imerovigli. If you want the most beautiful and timeless village focus on Oia. If you want to stay at the beach look in Perissa Beach or Kamari Beach.

Posted by
191 posts

If you can try and get a cheap flight I think Aegean Airlines already has deals up for June. I took the quick ferry but it's still almost 6 hours from Santorini to Athens and vice versa. I thought the ferry would be romantic but on the high speed ones, there is no outside and the ferries pull into the other side of the island so there is nothing to see when you first get in by ferry. Also the airport is much more convient to town. As the other poster said I would stay in either Fira or Oia. I liked Fira more to do, but whatever you do don't miss Oia. It is only 20 mins by bus from Fira really easy to get to just go to the bus station at the center of town they have a bus depot with the times posted, you can buy your ticket on the bus for only 1.6 euro. Like I said don't miss Oia, every picture you have seen of Greece has most likely been taken from Oia!

Posted by
655 posts

Hello Angela,

To add a few days which will include Santorini is a very good idea. June is a good time to explore this beautiful and interesting place.

From Athens I would fly Aegean Airlines. Check their website. You will find it is easy to use in English and that the airfare can be very reasonable.

You can, of course, take a cab from the center of Athens to the airport which is about a forty minute drive. A better value is to take the metro which runs right to the airport.

Posted by
655 posts

Hello Angela,

To add a few days which will include Santorini is a very good idea. June is a good time to explore this beautiful and interesting place.

From Athens I would fly Aegean Airlines. Check their website. You will find it is easy to use in English and that the airfare can be very reasonable.

You can, of course, take a cab from the center of Athens to the airport which is about a forty minute drive. A better value is to take the metro which runs right to the airport.