Please sign in to post.

Travel from Munich to Prague by train

Hello to all. I am travelling by train from Munich to Prague on Friday of this week (yikes!). Have a reservation in a shared compartment (six sleeper chouchette) and am travelling alone. The timetable seems to state that there are no stops between Munich and Prague. Any tips? Does this sound correct? Best, Tony

Posted by
12040 posts

Difficult to say, because as of April 2006, there was, surprisingly, no direct rail link between the two cities. I don't know if this was temporary situation due to repair work or a remnant of the Cold War. Traveling in the opposite direction, I had to disembark from the ICE train near the Bavarian border, take a bus several kilometers to a local rail station, catch a local train to cross the border, then board another ICE train for the remainder of the trip to Munich. Perhaps someone who has taken the route more recently can comment?

Posted by
1568 posts

Also posted in Transportation to your post there.

Why would you take a CNL night train from Munich to Prague?

There are 2 direct (no changes) trains that takes only 6 hours and 1 minute. One departs Munich at 06:43 and arrives Prague at 12:45. The 2nd one departs at 16:44 and arrives Prague at 22.45.

The CNL night train takes 10:34 minutes. Departs Munich at 22:07 and arrives Prague at 8:41. Sleeping in a couchette is no more comfortable than sleeping in one of the compartments.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en.

Change the date to 08.06.07 then change the time to 06:00.

Click on "Search Connection".

Enter AGE for Traveler.

Click on "Later" 3 times and the trains are listed for all day.

Hover over "Station/Stop" and click on the train you are interested in. Then click on "Show intermediate stops" and it will show all stops made along the route.

Posted by
12040 posts

Just note that when I took the train last year, the websites made no mention of the detour. They still considered it a "direct trip" because I did not have to buy any extra tickets or arrange any extra transport.

Posted by
1568 posts

Hopefully, they have completed the construction by now.