Please sign in to post.

Island Hopping

Any advice out there from all your Greece travelers on island hopping. Girls (mature) trip wanting to do our own thing. Santorini is a must, as is "beaching" it. We would plan on at least 2 weeks and at least 3 islands. Just think "Shirley Valentine". Thanks

Posted by
3122 posts

What are your main interests as a group? Will Santorini's nightlife satisfy your partying urge? If not, Mykonos is famous for the nightlife, although for me it's just way too expensive and overrun with charter flight travellers, group tours and cruise ship passengers. You'll get enough of that on Santorini. Both Naxos and Paros are close to Santorini and have excellent beaches. Paros has the added benefit of being very close to Antiparos, a quaint little island with nice beaches and very little in the way of tourist development. Luckily it's been kept to a minimum there.

Posted by
5678 posts

Many years ago a couple of us had a great vacation in Greece. We started in Athens and then took a night ferry to Crete, where we stayed for 3 or four days. We then went to Santorini, and from there to Naxos. We had to go back to Athens to get to Spetze, but the whole trip was wonderful. From Spetze we could take a day trip to mainland and see Mycenae. We worked on the fine art of cafe sitting which I highly recommend! ; ) Pam

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Robin. I was at some of the Greek islands, and I recommend : Naxos - 3 nights. Santorini - 2 nights. Crete - 6 nights. Sifnos - 3 nights. Naxos has the best beaches. Read about those islands in the Lonely Planet book on Greece (6th edition, or any edition in which Des Hannigan wrote about the Cyclades islands group), and the Thomas Cook book of Greek Island Hopping (it does not need to be a recently published edition of that book).