Please sign in to post.

Prague or Budapest

I am going to Vienna for several days and already have one side trip planned to the Wauchu. I have two half days on the end of my trip that are still open and I was thinking about either Budapest or Prague. I need to factor travel time to and from Vienna into this time as well. Anyone have any thoughts? Is Budapest too big for this amount of time?

Posted by
216 posts

This is one Texas-sized problem you have - TWO half days not yet booked! Well, if all you want to brag about is whether you have been in Prague or in Budapest, you can take a train to either place. Then turn around and take the next train right back.

Looks to me that you need to lower your sights and save both cities for next trip. They are as big as Vienna with nearly as much to see. While you can reach these other capitals in 4 hours or so by train, the wise traveler plans ahead and considers transfers, lodging, and sight-seeing.

Your Wachau side trip takes you upriver from Vienna and will require most of one day. If you are considering getting out of town for one additional trip, take the bus or train from the Südbahnhof to Eisenstadt (Burgenland's capital), visit the Esterhazy Castle in town - Johann Haydn's place of work - and maybe take a bus to the Neusiedler See, where you can take a ferry (in Mörbisch) and rent a bike or sit in a horse-drawn wagon that takes you through the nature preserves there. Alternatively, rent a row boat and let yourself get lost in the reed forest of this very large but shallow lake (like we did). Then enjoy some of the finest wines in Austria right at one of the many wineries in Rust. That's one full day of traveling to a little bit of Hungary (food, music, culture, architecture) that will let you brag about 'almost made it to Budapest' this time.

Viel Vergnügen!

Posted by
1358 posts

In my thinking, both Budapest and Prague are too big for 2 half days. And you must consider the travel time to each one. Prague will be closer; so I suggest you go there. Remember, it takes longer to travel in Europe.

Do a google search for sights in each town to help you decide what is of interest to you in each one. I prefer Prague (been there once), but I have been to Budapest twice.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for all the help. I have decided to go to Prague for the three days plus seems slightly easier to travel in a short time. I think it will make for a nice trip and break from Austria after spending over a week there.