Please sign in to post.

Restaurants in Prague

Staying at Hotel Julian in mid June. Any recommendations for dinner that isn't terribly expensive but has local atmosphere? Does anyone know the name and location of the place in Rick's Prague video where the trio plays music?

Posted by
7209 posts

Chez Marcel!!!! It's located in the Jewish district. Checkout the reviews on tripadvisor.com

Posted by
4637 posts

The pub is called U hrocha (At hippopotamus). The street is Thunovska. Very close to Malostranske namesti right under the Castle. People go there mainly for beer. You can have something cold to eat. To eat reasonably priced dinner in local atmosphere- I would recommend U dvou kocek (At two cats)at Uhelny trh in Old Town.

Posted by
12040 posts

Here are a few suggestions: the beer hall below Pension U Medvidku at Na Perštýne 7. I forget the name of the other restaurant, but its nearby in sort of a rather tame red-light district. Rick mentions it in his book. At least as of two years ago, basic Prague beerhall food was fairly inexpensive.

Posted by
11 posts

We found restaurants in Prague quite expensive, we expected them to be cheaper. I don't know maybe we were at the wrong places!

Posted by
4637 posts

Restaurants where locals eat are inexpensive, those where tourists eat are expensive.

Posted by
215 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Julian a couple years ago
and found the best restaurant close to the hotel
to be the Olympic, a few blocks away across from
Petrin Hill. The Julian also has a nice small
restaurant in its basement good for soup and sandwich. Excellent borst served there.

Posted by
1 posts

Bob, when traveling through Prague (2002) my friends and I loved a charming restaurant on Golden Lane near the castle. Their windows opened out to the street. It was called Gitanes. Family members painted all the art displayed on the walls and the food was great and inexpensive. I hope it's still available.

Amy