Please sign in to post.

Vienna to Budapest....

I'll be visiting Berlin, Prague and Vienna this September (actually on one of Ricks tours) and I'm tossing around the idea of perhaps spending a few days in Budapest on my own after the tour ends. Unfortunately, I'll more than likely only be able to squeeze in an extra two days or so at the end of the tour should I decide to do this.

My question is simply, is two days really enough time to visit Budapest or would it be more wise to simply wait until I have more time and take in the city at a more leisurely pace.

Posted by
115 posts

Yes you can do alot in 2 days. We were just there last summer for 3 nites. We stayed at Leo Panzio, and really loved it. Right in the middle of everything. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but very nice inside with avery confortable classy room. Please take time to go to the baths.
Helene

Posted by
1 posts

After an trip through Germany, our group of 5 will be in Budapest for 2 days and 3 nights the second week of June. We have planned for a private guide/driver to show us the hightlights of Budapest. We are doing a 4 hr tour the first day on the Buda side and the next day a 4 hr tour of the Pest side. This leaves us the afternoon to do things on our own, yet get a guided tour of the "highlights". Private guides are not as expensive as you might think and we are really looking forward to our trip!

Posted by
69 posts

I was in Budapest for 4 days, 3 nights. It was a good amount of time for us as it is really a big city to venture. With 2 days, you'll have to organize yourself and prioritize the things you want to see. I recommend finding a place to stay in 'Pest' instead of 'Buda' hill since most of the sites you'll want to see are there -- it'll save you travel time.

As already mentioned, wake up EARLY one day for a visit to Szechenyi Baths -- this the most memorable experience my husband and I had while in Budapest. Do it early so you still have a full day ahead of you to do other things and it'll be least busy.

Have fun on your trip!

Posted by
389 posts

I spent a month in Budapest one summer and had a great time there, but like all large cities, there are the high lights and then the real life. You will do fine in two days; our first trip before the wall fell was 1 day over and back from Vienna. If you'd like a "fun" view of Budapest you might watch "I Spy" with Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson. It was shot there and they managed to get a lot of the highlights into the movie. Have a great time!