Please sign in to post.

Health Insurance

Traveling to Budapest and Hungary. Have our own health insurance. But not sure if there is a need to get travel health insurance for eastern European countries. Any thoughts?

Posted by
1840 posts

My thought is that if you are healthy don't get it, and take care of yourself while you are there. We are oldsters and have been without health insurance in Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Hungary, and west from there including Poland. You will get thoughts with opposite opinions.

Posted by
17908 posts

You understand of course that no one in Hungary or probably in Europe will accept your insurance. That doesn't mean the company will not reimburse you for some portion when you submit the receipts. Im mot a insurance agent so I have no idea. My opinion is that it is sort of a personal risk decision. I go to Budapest often, I am in my 50's and I use MedJet Assist. If I remember correctly it has $100k in med coverage and evacuation service. Is it any good? Don't know, never had to use it to find out. The Hungarian Social Medicine system doesn't accommodate American's very well I have been told. But I have also been told by an English gentleman who is married to a Hungarian lady and with whom I have a business relationship in Budapest that the Hungarian system works better than the system in the UK. Go ahead Larry, as me who that person is. I would love it. I have a mild condition that requires a little assistance from time to time so I tracked down a good private clinic in town. You might take the info along just in case: First Med Centers 24-Hour Medical Assistance +36-1-224-9090 Appointments & General Inquiry
+36-1-224-9090 Hattyú Street 14 While in Romania I developed strep throat. The doctor's visit cost $15 and I went to the front of the block long line because I had cash. The doctor gave me three prescriptions. The pharmacy had none of the medicines and gave me vitamins instead. I carry antibiotics now when I travel. But again the system in Hungary is very good and very modern by all reports.

Posted by
1 posts

My in-laws traveled to Europe months ago and I don't think they are more concerned about health insurance when they booked their flight. I haven't encountered a company that are able to insure you for travel abroad so I think your safety depends on you.

Posted by
17908 posts

Getting sick isn't about safety and there are a number of insurance companies that will cover emergency care and evacuation costs. But, yes you are correct in that it's about your choices in life. I know Hungary well enough to believe that if you get really ill or injured you will be taken care of insurance or not. You may just be paying the bill for the next couple of years. I would encourage everyone to check travel policies, their cost and what they cover, and then decide.