Please sign in to post.

Extensive travel through Europe

My husband and I are planning an extensive trip throughout Europe beginning in December. We're looking for suggestions on itinerary planning and finding apartments or inexpensive housing throughout the year. If you've done a trip like this we would appreciate any advice you can give.

Posted by
2030 posts

Wow Jill - such a broad question, it's impossible to know where to start! You must have some ideas.

Posted by
9 posts

hello. Yes we've been to Europe many times, mostly in Italy. We've never been to Spain or Portugal. We have a generous budget and are leaving around December 1st and returning for Thanksgiving next year. We especially enjoy art and wouldn't like to miss any museums. We enjoy music of all kinds, except opera. And we just like hanging out and seeing how people live. We plan to include some tours throughout the year. We are trying to do a tour of Morocco over Christmas and New Years.

Posted by
9 posts

We are in extremely good health and are able to do almost anything. We don't enjoy bicycling but stairs are not a problem. We walk 3 miles almost daily in steep hills.

Posted by
3320 posts

I trust you DO realize that you will have to plan your itinerary in order not to violate Shengen (sp) rules -- i.e., about not more than 90 days in EUR countries that are signatories... then must do 90 days outside said countries. Wise to look at these regs carefully.

Posted by
9 posts

I found out about the regulations last week but didn't read it very carefully. I wasn't aware that you had to be out of the European countries for 90 days. That may pose a problem. I also thought you get obtain a waiver from the state department. I will read it much more carefully tonight!

Posted by
1158 posts

It would be hard for anyone to give you such advice. I sugest to read RS book's about Europe and see what you like to do.

Posted by
359 posts

Don't know about US rules, but up here in the Great White North, the snowbirds who spend winters in Florida, Arizona, & Portugal/Spain/Greece/etc, are very careful about not being away for even 1 day beyond 6 mos. Has mostly to do with health insurance coverage and might be something else you should check out.