Please sign in to post.

Athens to Santorini

Hello, I am planning a trip to Greece. I would like to go on an overnight ferry trip from Athens to Santorini like Rick talked about on his DVD. However I cannot find reservations for Sept 21, 2013 His DVD showed Ventouris Sea Lines. Do they close down in September?
Thank you I am pulling my hair out. Sissy Strunk

Posted by
3120 posts

The problem with guide books and travel DVDs is that by their nature they're not always current or indefinitely accurate. I can't remember the last time I saw a Ventouris Ferry arriving at Santorini, but it has to be at least a few years ago. As for September 21, there is no overnight ferry on that travel date. I think by late September the demand for ferry service has slowed down so there aren't as many choices as earlier in the season. THIS is what you have to choose from on that day.

Posted by
32200 posts

sissy, Rather than spend time on a Ferry trip to Santorini, I'd suggest travel by air which will give you more time to enjoy Santorini. Check Aegean or Olympic as they offer flights on that route. Happy travels!

Posted by
10 posts

We were going to fly back, just wanted the experience of an overnight ferry. But will now fly both ways. Thanks for the help
Sissy

Posted by
32200 posts

sissy, I haven't flown with Olympic, but I have used Aegean Air a number of times (including a trip from Santorini). My impression is that they're a real "class act". I was quite impressed by their service, and hopefully that hasn't changed. If you need any specific details arranged for your trip, I'd highly recommend using one of the travel agents listed on Matt Barrett's excellent www.greecetravel.com website. I used one of the agencies to set up all the arrangements for my trip to the islands, including hotels, transfers, Ferry tickets, etc. and the service was excellent! Cheers!