Please sign in to post.

High Speed Train

Is there a high speed or overnight train from Zagreb to Budapest?

Posted by
14481 posts

Delores, The only train that can be referred to as a speed train from Budapest is the Railjet train Budapest to Munich, that entire route and the major cities in between in Austria...Linz, Vienna and Salzburg. The RJ was put in several years ago to expedite travel from Munich and Budapest. So, if you were to go, say from Vienna to Budapest or vice versa for a day trip r/t, you can take the RJ.

Posted by
14481 posts

Hi, To answer the question on going by night: If you choose that option (to break up the ride), then I suggest going by way of Munich, take the Zagreb-Munich night train, then Munich to Budapest by the Railjet train. But a direct day connection from Zagreb to Budapest also runs.

Posted by
17639 posts

The trip from Budapest to Vienna (Vendunia) is about 150 miles by rail which means the "High Speed" RJ train is clipping along at an astonishing 50 mph as an average. Doesn't matter how fast the train is if the tracks can't handle it. I got excited for a moment because I thought I could take a direct train to Munich. Not so but the time, even with two changes does beat the drive time.