Please sign in to post.

travel to Prague

My husband are taking a river cruise from Prague to Budapest next summer. What would be more economical? Should we fly into Prague or fly to another city and take the train to Prague? Thank you,
Linda

Posted by
17918 posts

Prague isn't terribly close to many large airports. If there is another place you want to see as part of the trip then that's a different matter. Berlin and Prague seem to be a popular combination. Can you save? Well the cost of a trip is so subjective it's hard to say. Subjective in that there is a lot more to it than just the cost. You will want to consider where you change planes to try and avoid the worst airports and you will want to consider the layover time to help ensure you aren't running for and missing connections or spending the better part of the day stranded in an airport. I live not too terribly far from you and from Houston I like United / Lufthansa because they have a real nice direct flight to Frankfurt. From Frankfurt you can get to either Berlin or Prague or a few other good choices. I go over 2 or 3 times a year and its always difficult to decide. Do I spend a little more for a better connection or put up with changing in Paris (never again, once was enough)? I have met too many people who simply flew in, got on their boat, took the ride and flew out. Prague is a good solid 2 full day visit if you really want to see and enjoy it. Budapest is at least the same if not four full days. The only other advise I might offer is that you use Orbitz or something similar to get a feel for the airlines and the costs and destinations and then go directly to the airlines home page and book it there. When dealing with code shares like Lufthansa and United check the rates on both airline sites. Sometimes I find United is cheaper and sometimes Lufthansa and oddly enough the flights are identical. If you are interested in spending some time in Budapest let me know as that is sort of my specialty. There are better for Prague but I can help there a little bit too

Posted by
21 posts

I had another friend tell me that they flew into Berlin. I guess that I should rephrase my thoughts. We would like to fly into a city where we could do some sightseeing and then take the train or plane to Prague. We would stay 2 nights in Prague before the cruise. After the cruise, we might stay an extra night in Budapest. The cruise does have a full day in Budapest before disembarking on the next day. We just returned from a river cruise from Paris to Normandy. Before the cruise we flew to Amsterdam and then took the Thalys train to Paris. We would like to do something similar next summer. We have been to Salzburg and Munich and will be seeing Vienna during the cruise. What are your thoughts about seeing Berlin or possibly flying into Frankfurt and then going to Florence before Prague? Thank you for the helpful hints about United/Lufthansa.

Posted by
4637 posts

There is no connection by the river between Prague and Budapest so you will probably go from Prague by bus toward the Danube or its navigable tributary. What would be more economical? That changes case by case. If you can fly directly into Prague, do it. But as I am aware there are only two direct flights from the US into Prague. One from New York and one from Atlanta. You should have at least three full days for each Prague and Budapest and even then you are only touching surface. Prague is famous for its crowds. The medieval center streets are very narrow. The worst is so called Golden King Way. Start early and you will share Old Town, Charles Bridge, Little Quarter and Hradcany Castle with just few people. After 10 am forget it and do some other parts of Prague also in the center like New Town, Vysehrad, Petrin, etc.

Posted by
21 posts

Yes, the cruise begins in Vilshofen near Regensburg. I may need to stay 3 nights in Prague. There is an optional 3 day package in Prague with cruise lines before the cruise. I think that I can spend less by doing our own independent touring and hotel in Prague. Thank you for your suggestions.

Posted by
17918 posts

Just Prague and Budapest with out another stop will fill your plate. The only problem will be if you spend a few extra nights in Prague you might end up wishing you had saved the nights for Budapest or vice versa. They are two utterly unique experiences that tend to evoke strong emotions. Have a blast

Posted by
30 posts

Hi Ilya-Thanks for the link to Prague Experience. It looks helpful, but I'm just confused about which area of town to stay for 2-3 nights. If we pick based just on availability, how do we know it's a safe neighborhood? Is it walkable to go to the other areas or do they have a good transportation system? I'm not sure where to start and would appreciate any help you could give. Anyone? Thank You,
Dawn M

Posted by
21 posts

I don't think you posted to the correct topic.

Posted by
17918 posts

I liked Prague well enough but I am not a huge, huge fan, still one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in was the Hotel Ventana in Prague. And the location was outstanding, a half block off Old Town Square right next to the Tyn Church.

Posted by
4637 posts

All neighborhoods in Prague are safe. You want to be close to things. I would suggest Old Town, Mala Strana, New Town, maybe Vinohrady.