Please sign in to post.

Train or plane from Krakow to prague?

We will be traveling in Eastern Europe this July and would like to know the best way to get from Krakow to Prague. We are traveling as a family of 5 (kids range from 12-17) and have heard there are real safety issues on the trains. Has anyone made that trip by rail or air? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks!

Posted by
9100 posts

I'm not sure what "safety" issues you are referring to. Traveling by train is perfectly safe. It's the most comfortable, safe, and stress free mode of transportation.

Posted by
4 posts

I've read on various websites that specifically the overnight train from Krakow to Prague has had problems with robberies, theft and sexual assault. Other sites say those accounts are overstated.

We much prefer to travel country to country via train, so I'm glad to hear from someone who has had a fine experience on that particular route.

Posted by
9100 posts

Doors for the couchettes lock from the inside. Just buy an entire 6-berth compartment for your family. Lock the door before you turn-in when you wake you'll be in Prague:)

Posted by
12040 posts

If you are worried about problems on a night train (which is a perfectly safe option), you can easily make the trip during the day as well.

Posted by
14 posts

We tried like crazy to find affordable, safe transportation from Krakow to Prague, but ended up throwing in the towel as flights were out of this world in terms of cost. We now are taking a flight from Krakow to Munich (about $80/pp) and then spending time in Germany instead. I would imagine if you wanted to get to Prague from Munich you could either take another flight or perhaps the train would be considerably safer from there. More transfers than you had probably hoped, but the safety issue and cost convinced us this was the way to go. Good luck!

Posted by
4 posts

We have found the flights to be extremely pricey as well and the train routes from Krakow to Prague seem complicated with several changes, so we have decided to add some extra time onto our trip and take the train from Krakow to Vienna (where we'll spend just under a week) then the train from Vienna to Prague to finish up the trip. I've always wanted to visit Vienna anyway! Thanks for all the input-