Please sign in to post.

Zurich to Milan itinerary suggestion. June 30 to July 6, 2018

My husband and I want to use the trains for this quick trip, we are active mid 50's with carry on luggage only. Interested in central Switzerland as per Rick's book but just not sure which route and how much time (given that we are limited) would be most efficient in the not to be missed locations. Wouldn't mind checking out lake Como at the end. Scenery is one thing we r most looking forward to. Any hotel recommendations along the way would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Posted by
11156 posts

We stayed in the following and recommend them. We had a rental car but did use trains within Switzerland for day trips.
Milan , Antica Locanda Leonardo
Pontresina, La Collina
Grindelwald, rented an apartment
Lake Como, Bellagio, La Limonera and Hotel Belvedere(different trips there)

Posted by
20085 posts

You don't have very much time. If you arrive on the 30th and leave from Milan on the 6th, that is only 6 nights, and the last night is probably in Milan for the flight home the next day. I can think of 3 obvious routes.

Eastern: Go to Pontresina from the airport and specify via Chur so you can ride the Albula rail line. Stay 3 nights. Then take the Bernina Express or one of the unreserved regular trains to Varenna on Lake Como for 2 nights. Then train to Milan for last night.

Central: Go to Luzern from the airport and stay 3 nights. Then take the Gotthard Panorama Express to Lugano. It includes a boat ride to Fluelen than train. Book 1st class if you want to be in a panorama car. Lugano to Como, then hydrofoil to Bellagio. Stay in Bellagio 2 nights, then ferry to Varenna and train to Milan.

Western: Go to Wengen or Muerren from the airport and stay 3 nights. Then go to Stresa on Lake Maggiore for 2 or 3 nights. For extra scenery, specify via Kandersteg so you can ride the more scenic Loetschberger train. From Stresa, you can get a bus to Milan Malpensa airport, either in the morning if it is a later flight, or the night before and stay in one of the airport hotels for next morning flight.