Please sign in to post.

Zurich/Lucerne

Hello - I am going to Switzerland for the first time and currently am staying 3 nights in Zurich. Is it recommended to spend 1 night in Zurich and 2 nights in Lucerne or just stay in Zurich and do a day trip to Lucerne. I also am interested in a day trip to Vaduz, Liechtenstein but have heard that Viator tour company sponsored trip is a rip off, so would love to hire a local tour guide who can take me there instead.

Posted by
746 posts

Doesn't where you spend the night depend on what you want to do? Are you just going to stay in those cities, or do you want to see some of the beautiful alps? With only three nights, why not just focus on Switzerland?

Posted by
2425 posts

I would spend 3N in Lucerne. And I would not bother visiting Liechtenstein. And ignore Viator. You do not need a tour company to explore Switzerland.

Posted by
32329 posts

I agree with the previous reply.... spend all three nights in Lucerne. Keep in mind that two nights won't provide much time for sightseeing and one night will only provide a few hours to look around. There's lots to see in Lucerne so you should have no trouble finding things to fill the time.

Posted by
66 posts

Listen to wengenk. Having been to both Lucerne and Zurich, there’s no need to spend time in Zurich at all if you have the option to go to Lucerne and haven’t been yet. Zurich is nice, but Lucerne is special.

Posted by
2 posts

thank you all for the insights - I will look to spend most/all of my time in Lucerne!