Please sign in to post.

Zermatt to Zurich

Is it doable to get from Zermatt to Zurich using Scenic Rail Expresses?
I'm thinking about taking Glassier Express, and connect somewhere to a train to Zurich. But where?
We're staying in Zermatt, and flying back home from Zurich, so we will be carrying all our luggage with us.
Thank you!

Posted by
21028 posts

The Glacier Express goes West-East and you want to go South-North. Anything is possible, it will just take a long time. One thing to keep in mind, you must have seat reservations, and they may already be in short supply depending on the class of service you ant and if you want to sit together. What is your expected date? Will you have a Swiss Travel Pass? When is your flight?

If you left at 7:52, that Glacier Express departure arrives in Chur at 13:25 and change to train to Zurich at 14:08, arriving Zurich HB at 15:22.

Posted by
7 posts

Sam, thank you for the fast response!
That's a really looong time on the train! Almost entire day! Is it worth it? Or would it be better to spend one extra day and night in Zermatt and to take a regular train to ZRH?
Our flight departs at 14:20 from ZRH. Can I get from Zermatt to ZRH in the morning? I mean, can I leave Zermatt in the morning and get to ZRH by noon or so?
Yes, I do plan to buy Swiss Travel Pass.
Where to look for and make seat reservation for Glassier Express?
Where is it better to look for the train schedule? On the website or on the app?
So many questions!
Thanks in advance!

Posted by
2448 posts

Where is it better to look for the train schedule? On the website or
on the app?

The website and the app will show exactly the same schedules...

Posted by
17284 posts

You will be on the route of the Glacier Express (but on a regular regional train, not the special named one) between Zermatt and Visp. You change there to the fast train through the tunnel to Bern and on to Zurich. The travel time using this route is 4 hours, plus or minus a few minutes.

You can leave Zermatt on the 7:37 train and arrive at ZRH, inside the terminal, at 11:44.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for all your suggestions!
I have another question about trains. The schedules show very short transfer times between trains: 8 min in Bern, 6 min in Visp. Is it enough time to walk from one platform to another? Especially with bags...
Or is there a way to set the search for trains with longer transfer times?

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you Maureench! Couple more questions (they probably sound naïve, but this is my very first time using trains in Switzerland, so...)
As I understood (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I need to buy a ticket to the specific train: specific destination and time. What happens to the ticket if I missed my train? Does it become worthless? Or can I get refund? Or can it be exchanged for the ticket on the next train? Or can I just use it for the next train?

Posted by
21028 posts

If you are indeed getting a Swiss Travel Pass, then you can take any train you want, any time. Miss a train, just get the next one. The Pass is your ticket. Just board the train and when the conductor comes by, they check your pass and move on. The only time you are locked into specific trains is if you buy a discounted Super Saver ticket.

You would only do this is you did not have a pass. Even then, a full fare point-to-point ticket is good on any train on that route for the day. And to go from Zermatt to ZRH, you could also buy now a Saver Day Pass, which is like a 1 day Travel Pass. The earlier you buy, the cheaper they are. They are good on any train for the day you buy it for.

I should add that if you are flying to North America, you should try to get the ZRH at least 3 hours before departure time.

Posted by
7 posts

Sam - thank you for the clear explanation.
One more question about swiss travel pass: I will be buying 2 passes, for me and my wife. Can I put both passes on my phone? Or I need to put them on separate phones? (my pass on my phone, and her pass on her phone?) We plan to have only one phone with local SIM card, so it would be easier to have both passes on a single phone.
Or just print the passes and not worry about phones at all?
And yes, we plan to be in ZRH 3 hrs before departure.

Posted by
17284 posts

Each travel pass has the holder’s name on it, and both can be on your phone if you want. We did that on our trip last September—-I had both Half Fare Cards on my phone so we only had to pull out one phone to show the conductor. My husband actually had his own pass on his phone too, as I forwarded the confirmation email to him. And I carried printed copies as well, just in case.

I like redundancy when it comes to travel arrangements.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks Lola! That's what I prefer: to have everything on one phone. And printouts as backup.