Please sign in to post.

Zermatt / Stelli see / blauherd

So I got a few day's available to myself this week (week of Feb 26 - 2days) and I thought I'd head to Zermatt. I've never been and have been wanting to go since I arrived. I have a few questions that seem simple but I'm not getting clear answers with all my searches (my mom never raised a genius). If there is already a thread, please direct me - I haven't found it yet.

ME:
* I'm traveling from Zurich
* I would like to use the train from Zurich to Zermatt and back
* I want to see Stelli Lake
* I may spend the night, if I can find really cheap accommodations

Questions:
* The train from Zurich to Zermatt is about 60sf (with half fare) each way
-- Is there such a thing as a "day" train pass. If I left in the early morning and returned late in the night, is there a 1day train pass that I can buy?
Regardless if this is a "sane" idea, it may be financially better for me.

• To go to Stelli see I understand I need to take a cable car from Zermatt to blauherd.
    -- Is this open right now (week of February 26)?
    -- I read that I also need to take a Funicular to get from Zermatt to the blauherd cable car -- is that right?
    -- Where can I find the price / schedule for the funicular and cable car
    ---- This is what I understand so far: To see Stelli see - I go from Zermatt, funicular to Sunnegga, cable car to Blauherd, hike 20min
    ---- I thought I read (during my research) the price is about 40sf

• Weather
    -- Is there a webcam I can check to see what Zermatt / stelli see looks like

I'm sure this information is out there in the "Interwebs" but for some reason I'm not confident in what I'm reading.

Posted by
19653 posts

Yes, there is a 1 day travel pass if you have a Half Fare card. It's 75 CFH.
"Cheap room". It's the height of ski season.
Stelli See will be frozen.
Lift schedule is continuous. It's ski season.

Posted by
128 posts

Sam, Thank you for the help.

Now that you mention it - OF COURSE the lake will be frozen .... I've looked at sooo many photo's of the location that I didn't even think it would be frozen.

Posted by
128 posts

Thanks everyone for your help. I just returned from my Day trip to Zermatt. I used all suggestions. Sadly I wasn't able to get to all the places I'd hoped - They close down the "lifts" if the temp drops below a certain number -- it was apparently -30c on the top of the mnt -- Who would have thought it would be cold in winter on top of a mnt. Apparently I didn't think about those things...

Again - thank you all, It was a great, however short, trip.

Posted by
19653 posts

Wow. 3 times in Zermatt in January and never saw anything close to -30 c. It's a different winter this year.