Please sign in to post.

Zermatt or Interlaken

Hello
I am looking for suggestions on visiting Zermatt or Interlaken for 2 college age young men. They will be leaving from Munich and eventually going on to the Cinque Terre region. I think the routes and time it takes to travel between the 2 is about the same and it appears the costs are similar. How soon should these tickets be purchased? They will be traveling around the first week in June.
Thanks

Posted by
20031 posts

If they like skiing, they can do that on the glacier in Zermatt. They have skiing year round.
If they buy tickets today, they can get a 98 euro for 2 all rail connection, or a 78 euro for 2 with the bus to Zurich and continuation by rail. That's for Monday June 1. These are nonrefundable fares. Normal price would be over 300 euro.
The normal fare from SBB to Monterosso is 204 chf for 2. They might get a better price by booking the connections separately to Milan on SBB, and the continuation to Monterosso at Trenitalia with an Economy or Super Economy fare. Staying at another town in the CT, connect to a local train.

Posted by
7209 posts

Whatever they do they should NOT NOT NOT stay in Interlaken which is best used as a rail hub. If they want to see the alps they need to travel an additional 20 minutes on the little train from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen. 2 college age young guys - I would recommend the Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald which is located on the cliff overlooking the magnificent Lauterbrunnen Valley.

Posted by
32200 posts

For two college age young men, I'd also recommend either the Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald, or the Valley Hostel in Lauterbrunnen. Staying in Lauterbrunnen will be a better location for exploring both sides of the valley, as it's the transportation hub.

Be sure to mention to them that Switzerland is expensive, so they'll need to budget accordingly.