Please sign in to post.

Which mountain peak should be preferred.

With the time constraints if I were to make a choice between Jungfrau and Mt. Titils...... which one would you suggest should not be missed AND

PART 2 : Is it advisable to book the tickets to the mountain peaks along with the Swiss travel pass or is it preferable to buy them on the day of the excursion....... considering the possibilty that one may not actually make the trip on a given day due to inclement weather conditions.

I am travelling in the last week of June 2018

Posted by
11294 posts

I haven't been to Mt. Titlis, so I can't compare it to Jungfrau. But I can answer your second question.

Do not make any reservations for mountains. Mountain weather is both unpredictable and rapidly changeable, and it is a complete waste of time and money to go up a mountain when there is no visibility on top. Before going on any mountain excursion, check the webcams showing the conditions on the top (these will be available at your hotel, and there are also usually available at the base train station). So, when deciding where to go, on the day you are making the trip, look at which peak has the best visibility before buying any tickets. In other words, if you are told that Jungfrau is "better" than Titlis, but Jungfrau is socked in with fog while Titlis is clear, go to Titlis that day.

Posted by
26 posts

Both have stunning views when it is clear. Jungfrau may take longer to reach depending upon from where you start. I was disappointed with how much time is spent in a dark tunnel when ascending Jungfrau.
My experience with all the Swiss peaks is that visibility is better in the morning before haze forms in the afternoon. But do check weather and the peak web cams.
Titus was made famous by the movie Diwale Dulhania Le Jayenge so it can be very crowded at the base with long waits to go up or down. But I went up at the start of the day before anyone else so I had the 360° gondola to myself on the way up and back down. There were 26 tour busses in the parking lot when I came down and a huge line to go up that was barely moving.

Posted by
5621 posts

We stayed in Luzern. We had planned to go to either Mt. Rigi or Mt. Pilatus and couldn't make up our minds. Well, mid morning as we were walking around town, we noticed it was very clear around Rigi when Pilatus was still covered with thick clouds so we walked across town to the boat dock and did Rigi where the views and trip was lovely. I don't think the clouds ever cleared over Pilatus that day. If you are staying in Berner Oberland, its possible that Jungfrau would be socked in while Schilthorn is clear.

Posted by
32816 posts

charm? Not a word I would use in that context. Not about Jungfraujoch. Nor Pilatus.

They are mountain peaks - or near peaks.

If you want Bollywood think where the films were made.

Posted by
32816 posts

this is a duplicate post - answers also on the twin