Please sign in to post.

Where to stay

We are planning a trip to switzerland beginning April 29, 2020. Arrive in Zurich and want to visit 3 of 4 of following, Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis and Jungfraujoch. What city would you suggest be our home base and closest for three of four? Will Swiss rail pass take discount from home base to top of mountains? We are in our 70s so no hiking, only cable cars, cogwheels, gondolas etc to top. Thank you

Posted by
7811 posts

Luzern is closet to Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis but I would not try to go to Jungfraujoch on a day trip from there if that's what you are planning.

You can consult this site to see exactly what is cover 100% or discounted if you were to buy a Swiss Travel Pass. The information changes year to year.
https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

Posted by
11136 posts

We stayed in Grindelwald and had seemless train transportation to theJungfrau.

Posted by
3551 posts

As others have said Lucerne is perfect for most of your wishes however Jungfrau is more distant you may wish to consider staying on valley floor of lauterbrunnen and decide on Jungfrau when u are there. The weather of course is so iffy for jungfrau and It is a pvt rail line. Best stay On valley floor and go or no go based on weather when u are there. Predicting is very difficult and the trip by rail very expensive so plan accordingly.

Posted by
56 posts

Yes Mother Nature so unpredictable. Thank you for taking time to respond, much appreciated.

Posted by
977 posts

For the Jungfraujoch, your best option would be Grindelwald. I would also recommend the hotel Derby Swiss Quality Hotel .

As a local, with mobility issues I often stay there. It's within about 20 meters of the train station, it offers three restaurant options if you don't feel like venturing out, elevators etc... and very friendly and helpful staff.