Please sign in to post.

Where to spend 3 nights in Switzerland

We land in Zurich mid-late afternoon on Thursday, May 4th and plan to spend the night there. We have 3 nights after that (May 5th - 7th) to spend somewhere in Switzerland before we train south to Italy (Lake Como). We would prefer to spend those 3 nights in one base.

We have never been to Switzerland. We are not museum people. We prefer smaller towns to big cities (we prefer St. Andrews to Edinburgh). We like pretty scenery with lunches/dinners overlooking water. I can walk several miles, but a bad knee makes stairs and downhills difficult. Would Lucerne be a good option?

Thank you for your input!

Posted by
8511 posts

Yes, Luzern is a great option. It's more of a medium-size, but it's on a beautiful cruise-able lake, with three mountains you can visit all right there. In fact, you can take a train directly from the Zurich airport rail station and be right there in 1.25 hours (yeah, I'd skip Zurich with that short a time).

Posted by
365 posts

Luzern feels like the perfect choice, checks your boxes but also doesn’t take you farther out (given your route after).

Posted by
3179 posts

Another vote to skip an overnight in Zurich and go directly to Luzern.

Posted by
876 posts

Hotel Balances in Lucerne….right on the river with beautiful views and a great restaurant! Take a day and see Pilatus or Rigi.

Posted by
132 posts

I'm taking your advice. Thank you for your help!