Please sign in to post.

Where to go in Switzerland

We have 3 days in Switzerland coming up in two weeks. We have 3 kids (18,15,11) and want to do some day hiking. Where should we go and what town should we stay in. I have looked at Grindelwald, but it seems to be very touristy? Other suggestions? We are taking the train from Toulon, FR to Switzerland. Thanks!

Posted by
7731 posts

Stay in mountain villages Wengen or Murren or in the Lauterbrunnen Valley and you can't go wrong. But how are you planning to get there; that is a long way from Toulon. it will take half the day. You might fly to Geneva or Zurich from Marseille or Nice.

Posted by
38 posts

We stayed in a little village called Stechelberg, just beyond the town limits of Lauterbrunnen itself and it was lovely. We stayed in a chalet where the owners kept some goats in the barn. In the farm next door, there was a vending machine that dispensed fresh milk (from the cows that were milked there). We got a kick out of bringing an empty pitcher, putting some money in the machine, then getting milk dispensed right into the pitcher.

But yes, I agree with the previous poster that if you stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren, you will have lots of options for hiking. The area is so beautiful.

Posted by
8377 posts

Places in Switzerland are touristy for a reason. Better decide quickly if the trip is in two weeks. Luzern is a good alternative as you can go up Pilatus or Rigi for hiking.

Posted by
531 posts

I vote for Luzern for accessing the steamboats on the lake as well as access to several Lifts which will offer you hiking trails.

Murren is equally beautiful .....good to find accommodations now.

Posted by
768 posts

I prefer Lauterbrunnen or Murren to Grindelwald, but more important at this point is to get a place to stay for 5. Any of those places or Wengen would be fine.
In any case, click on my name and you'll find a link to our dozen favorite hikes in the area, with pics and maps. They've been tested by my own 3 young teens.