Please sign in to post.

When to go?

So, we are trying to plan our second trip to Italy, and then through switzerland by way of the Bernina Express/Glacier, and then to Grindelwald.
We were thinking late March but now I’m on the fence after reading that it may not be a good time to go as it’s not pretty, and pretty much closed down as well. I was also reading the Glacier Express route is not recommended during that time as it’s a lot of dead looking Forrests and not much to look at :(
Can anyone enlighten me please? We went in October and it was stunningly beautiful. I can deal with the cold, but was hoping to beat the crowds and for a bit off season for cheaper, but don’t want to do at this tile of year if it’s not worth it.
What’s the weather like In all theses places? Will there be snow everywhere or just on the glaciers? Green meadows? What about Interlaken area?

Also, I’m looking for a small hotel to stay off the Glacier route. I had thought there was one to take off the route that involves a cable to the top or something along those lines, it now I can’t find it.
Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Posted by
11314 posts

For Switzerland and being able to see snow other than the mountaintops, March should be good as it is still ski season. There is winter wandern as well on groomed trails where there is snow. We did Grütschalp to Mürren in the snow one year and it was delightful. It won’t be cheaper, because ski season lasts until early April.

No way to know the best approach as weather is so fickle. Is snow more important to you than prices? Switzerland is never inexpensive. We are in Lauterbrunnen now and hotels are shutting down until mid-December. Some Lifts are shutting for maintenance. Beware the off-season and plan carefully.

Posted by
27 posts

I guess I should clarify- I don’t want to visit when there is snow on the ground. We would like to do some light hiking, and the outdoor activities around the area. When is off season?

Posted by
34 posts

“Off season” is approx. oct-dec and apr-early june-ish.

Are you dead set on spring because September/early October can be great as has been mentioned.

The valleys are warmer than the mountain towns of course. This year April/May was ok in Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen as far as temperatures go. But up in murren it was plenty cold with snow lasting quite a while.

Posted by
27 posts

We went in october on our last visit and it was fabulous. But we want to go early this next year as we have some life changes coming up and want to go at this time.

If we went late May would the weather be clear, the meadows green, easy hiking available with all the cable cars and activities going on? I really don’t want to come at a time where I’m seeing patches of snow on the ground, and I’m seeing conflicting info. On this. Cold weather we don’t mind just don’t want snow or brown patches of dead grass.

Posted by
265 posts

We stayed in Mürren mid-May this year, and there were still patches of snow on the ground. We could walk around Mürren without walking in snow, but the walking trails above there were still snow covered.
The Allmendhubel Funicular wasn’t opening until early June. Some hotels and restaurants were still closed.

Posted by
27092 posts

I remember a few earlier comments here from experienced travelers to Switzerland to the effect that after the snow melts, the farmers get busy applying fertilizer, which is rather smelly. I haven't been to Switzerland during that period, so I have no personal experience to share. The dates of fertilizer application would obviously vary a bit from year to year.

Posted by
6887 posts

If you don't want snow, the later in May, the better - June would be even better for mountain hiking above 2,000 m.

But are you sure you don't want snow? End March / early April can be magical, with snowy-but-oft-sunny landscapes. You just need proper footwear. The Glacier Express route on a sunny day in late March should be incredible (never done it); I have fond memories of a trip to Zermatt at that time of the year.