Please sign in to post.

When Rick suggests Migros and Coop

he's not kidding, these places are lifesavers. They are all over the place and are a great way to try and save some money on food which is really, really challenging in CH. You can pop in and buy a prefab sandwich and bottle of drink for lunch. In the evening, you can pop in and grab some pastries and tea bags for breakfast the next day. Their croissants were bakery quality and their pain chocolate ... well don't get me started. Heck, if you're not inspired for dinner you can even get a roasted chicken (half or whole), some salad or side dishes and picnic in your room. To do that, you might need to get some utensils and napkins. Don't touch that minibar, buy your drinks and snacks at these stores. The stores also come in different sizes, I even saw one set up at a gas station like a 7-11.

Posted by
500 posts

Largest branches of Coop, Migros and Manor have self-service restaurants (mostly open at lunch time but not always at dinner time). They often offer a good quality/price ratio.

Posted by
3387 posts

We spent a month in Switzerland a couple of summers ago and Coop saved our budget!

Posted by
2165 posts

My funny story is that in Switzerland I kept calling the store Co-op (Coe'-opp). A clerk finally corrected me to "coop," as in chicken. Loved the store!

Posted by
32171 posts

When in Switzerland, I often stop in the Manor self serve restaurants, and have always found the food to be good quality. On one occasion in Locarno, I had some pasta cooked-to-order and it was great! In addition to an extensive selection of different foods (including horse steaks in one), they also have small bottles of wine, salads and desserts.