Please sign in to post.

What to do in Switzerland

My husband and I will be in Switzerland in mid September. We already have time planned in the Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen area and a trip on the Bernina Express. We have one day left, a Sunday if that matters, with nothing planned. We are staying at an Airbnb between Zurich and Luzern. Where would you suggest a day trip, Luzern or Bern or any other suggestions?

Posted by
11052 posts

Will you have visited Lucerne earlier in your trip? If not, visit beautiful lakefront Lucerne/ Lucerne.

Posted by
870 posts

Take the funicular to Pilatus….beautiful view!

Posted by
19637 posts

Or take a boat ride to Vitznau and ride the cog train to the top of Rigi for the view.

Posted by
32515 posts

or go to the Verkehrshaus - the excellent transport museum

Posted by
32515 posts

or when you get to Vitznau take the next leg up Rigi. Go all the way over and come down in Arth-Goldau and train back.

Posted by
12 posts

We just went to Mt Pilatus yesterday; was in Lucerne for 3 nights, now in Zurich - heading home soon.
You can take boat to Alpnachstad, go up cog wheel train as Rick suggests, come down by Gondola/cable car - take quick bus ride back to Lucerne train station.
You don’t have to take the boat to Alpnachstad - the train gets there in 15-20 min. I’m sure the boat is a great adventure but it takes an hour or more from city center and the cogwheel train up Mt Pilatus fills up fast.
So we did bus to cable car/gondola and then cog wheel train down, and then SBB train back to Lucerne station.
The TI can help you w all of your tickets and information.
Enjoy, it’s beautiful!

Posted by
4614 posts

Many shops/businesses are closed on Sundays in Switzerland, so I would suggest outdoor activities. This makes Bern pretty quiet on Sundays, unless there is a festival on the Plaza. I second the suggestions for Lucerne. If you have the STP, Mt Rigi and Mt. Stanserhorn transportation is all covered; Mt Pilatus, just a discount for the ascent. Taking the boat on the lake is very peaceful and beautiful.
safe travels!

Posted by
20 posts

We do have the Swiss Travel Pass. Where do you think the views are better, Pilates or Rigi?

Posted by
32515 posts

Where do you think the views are better, Pilates or Rigi?

They are different.

The best one is usually the one with the better weather at the summit on the day.

Posted by
39 posts

Just got back from two weeks in Switzerland; our first and last nights were there in Lucerne due to proximity to the airport.

We didn’t actually do any of the popular mountain/lake excursions and simply enjoyed walking around the city, stopping in some shops (that were open, since it was also a Sunday on our last night there) and eating :). We did so many epic hikes and running around in the Jungfrau region, it was a nice change of pace. Granted we never had a full day there, just half days.

I recommend checking out the Musegg wall and towers, the Jesuit church and old town area, the covered bridges of course and walking along the lake promenade.

We ate at a quirky little homemade pasta shop called Pasta Razzi and then a nicer Italian dinner at La Terrazza. I also recommend Laderach and/or Lindt chocolate :)

Posted by
2633 posts

What is the best way to check the weather?

You want to use the metoswiss app or website. I have found this to be very accurate. And, certainly much more accurate than the weather channel app/website which seems to think it rains every day in Switzerland.