Please sign in to post.

Wengen or Murren

We are looking to go to Switzerland late August into early September. We will be arriving into Zurich. We will have 8 days to spend in the mountains. We want to hike. Any advice on which village to stay in? In the very early stages of planning so flexible but need to get lodging lined up. Please chime in if there is any other area to split the time. We will be arriving into Zurich.

Posted by
6916 posts

If your plan is just to set up camp for a week and explore from there, then I would pick Wengen because it is a bit larger and more central for the various excursions.
If you are looking for other areas to split your time, the most usual choice is Luzern but it is not in the mountains. The Montreux area is also worthwhile, and the Golden Pass railway from Spiez to Montreux is scenic. But spending a week 'just' in the Wengen region is also great...the decision comes down to your travel style.

Posted by
29 posts

The train from Zurich airport to Interlakken Ost is a piece of cake. From there take the train to Lauterbrunnen. From Lauterbrunnen up to Murren is easy as is Lauterbrunnen to Wengen on the other side of the valley opposite Murren. I have been there 5 times and if I had that many days I would split the days between Murren and Wengen. There is so much hiking and many attractions on each side. If you stay on one side you have to keep going down to LB to go to the other side which can cost money and time. On either side you can go down to LB and hike the valley, explore the town, do Trummelbach and eat at one of the good restaurants in LB. That is enough time in LB. While in Wengen I would go up to Mannlichen and hike down to Kleine Scheidig. About 2 hrs, pretty easy with mostly down hill and some of the MOST beautiful views of the mountains available in the whole area. Its great that you have 8 days there. If you get tired of the mountains (I NEVER do) a day trip to Montreau is awesome and easy. Have a great trip.

Posted by
429 posts

What’s your hiking skill level? There is more hiking directly from Murren. Wengen is slightly more convenient for day trips, but there is more hiking trails directly from Murren up into the mountains if you have moderate level ability.

Posted by
105 posts

Awesome suggestions!! Our hiking skill level is anything non-technical....no via ferrata. We consider ourselves very fit 65 yr old's (living in Western NC cycling the roads as well as hiking) We will need to "tune up" our hiking muscles but are very aerobically fit. Please list any suggestions on accommodations. I am reading there is construction in Murren so want to avoid the noise.

Posted by
812 posts

Our stay at Hotel Edelweiss in Wengen was terrific! Daniel and his staff offer top notch service; hotel is immaculately clean; great breakfast. There were some evenings we opted to have dinner at the hotel, and we found it to be good value.

Posted by
11338 posts

You can’t really go wrong: Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, or Mürren. Pick the one where you can get lodging you like and do that ASAP as it is very busy at that time of year.

We almost always stay in Lauterbrunnen as it is central and for our long stays we can easily go any direction from there to hike above Mürren, above Wengen, in the valley itself, or go over to the Grindelwald area for the hikes at First, Büssalp, and Pfingstegg.