Please sign in to post.

Weekend in Switzerland

We have from Friday until Tuesday in Switzerland after we check out of our hotel In Lauterbrunnen. We have to be in Geneva to catch a flight midday on Tuesday….and are wondering where we should go after we leave Lauterbrunnen. We love Luzern but have been there….and wondering if we should try the weekend in Bern or even train over to France before leaving on Tuesday. Any advice? Have not traveled the area of France near Geneva……any ideas? Thank you!

Posted by
2672 posts

Have you been to Montreux before? I spent 5 nights there last June and plan to go back next June.

My trip report is in my profile under solo in Switzerland. Montreux is a good base for lots of things—nice walks, boat rides, the vineyards, mountain excursions, etc.

I would pass on bern.

Posted by
5581 posts

We loved Bern. The historic center is quite different from other Swiss towns. There was a lot to see and do, but a day is enough. You could do it on a day trip from Lauterbrunnen.

In Montreaux, you could see Chateau Chillion. If you have the Swiss Travel Pass, it is included. They have luggage storage, BTW. People seem to really like Lausanne (it looked very pretty from the train) and Vevey.

Posted by
4705 posts

How about going over to Colmar/ Strasbourg area to explore and visit wineries?
Or Mt Titlus and hike down?
What a wonderful "problem".
Safe travels!

Posted by
647 posts

How about Engelberg? We stayed in Engelberg 2 nights last year because I wanted to go to Mt Titlis (Pat suggested Titlis also).
Unfortunately the weather was less than ideal while we were there, but there are a lot of trails and activities in the area.
I am not home now, but camping on the Oregon coast, so don’t have my notes available.
Engelberg is surrounded by mountains.
RS’ Switzerland Tour used to include Engelberg so you could look through old scrapbooks.