Please sign in to post.

Weather in Wengen

Hi folks - we are planning to stay in Wengen next week (family of 4, with 2 kids 7 and 9). We stayed in Lucerne last year, and this time staying in Wengen.

I hear that the weather isn't so great right now. Is that true?

These were the things we wanted to cover during our 5 day stay in Wengen

1. Mannlichen
  2. Kleine Scheidegg
  3. Jungfraujoch
  4. Pfingsteigg (kids wanted to do tobogganing again)

Others would be Brienz/Thun lake trips, Schilthorn, and Murren.

Posted by
2330 posts

Right now it is raining. A lot even. Weather forecast for tomorrow is more rain. After that, who knows? Certainly not our met service.

We will have to wait till next week to see what next week brings...

Posted by
48 posts

We are here now (!) and it is raining. We decided to get out and about anyway in our rain gear and went up to Männlichen and down the other side to Grindelwald in the cable cars. Visited the Lindt store, grabbed a pretzel at Coop, and enjoyed the views from the Jungfraujoch station there. We saw on the camera that Eigergletscher station was clearer so took the Eiger Express up there and got some marvelous photos- even a brief spell of blue sky! Then we walked to Kleine Scheidegg and took the train back to Wengen.

Now it is thundering and we are snacking and relaxing before dinner. Traveling with three kids (9, 7, 4) and working on our flexibility and hiking legs! Can’t control the weather and wow, the Alps are spectacular when they peek through the clouds.

Posted by
48 posts

I’ll add that we’re here for four days total and got the Berner Oberland pass. We plan to wait to see if we can get to the top of one of the mountains with great views but if not, we’ll do it next time.

Posted by
6 posts

We are getting to Wengen Sat night and staying through Thurs. Hope the weather clears up. We were in Switzerland last year at the same time and there was nary a drop of rain!

I'm sure our 9 and 7 year olds will run into each other.

Posted by
48 posts

I hope so! It would be fun for the kids to have someone to play with.
We just got here from Appenzell where the weather was stunning. safe travels!

Posted by
2330 posts

We hope it clears up a bit too. The weather forecast for next week shows a return to normal summer weather. Ie, sunny with the occasional afternoon shower. But the confidence given to it by MeteoBlue is only something like 30%. Predicting the weather when the main situation is unstable is hard. You'll have to take it as it comes...