Please sign in to post.

Weather in Murren

I'm about 4 weeks out from my trip and just checked the weather forecast for the next two weeks. It is pretty dismal - rain and thunderstorms forecast every single day. Lows below freezing. Is the rain there usually shorts bursts or is this all day cloudy, foggy drizzle? Starting to wonder if we should skip the area if the forecast stays like that....

Posted by
7209 posts

Weather in Murren can change hour by hour and there is absolutely NO way to predict 4 weeks from today.

Posted by
5701 posts

When I was in the Lauterbrunnen/Murren area it didn't seem like it was possible to determine what the weather would be like in an hour. It does precipitate a lot there. I was there in January and it snowed a lot, and that says a lot because I live in an area that gets a fair amount of snow. I think the weather there is pretty unpredictable so its good to stay a stretch of days so that you get a good weather day or a few. The area is absolutely STUNNING! I think its worth it. A couple things to consider, for me, it has seemed that weather forecast/apps are on the pessimistic side. I typically get better weather than the forecast. Secondly, its a big area. There is a camera at the top of Schilthorn and another on Jungfrau. It can be nice on one and not on the other. The videos on the cameras are shown on a local tv station and I think also at the gondolas. While I don't have a lot of experience with the alps, we have vacationed a lot in Colorado. It seemed like every day in the summer there was a forecast for thunderstorms. If there was one, in tended to be later afternoon and then it would clear. It seems like a lot of mountainous areas are like that in the summer.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks!

I do know that weather forecasts more than a couple days out don't mean a lot but I was just thrown by the 80% chance of thunderstorms every. single. day. So I was more wondering about how those kind of days played out - if the rain fogged in the whole day or it was just typically a short burst of rain.

Posted by
768 posts

I've been there a dozen times and "chance of thunderstorm" is the usual forecast.
I've learned to do my own forecasting the morning of:
get up EARLY, crack of dawn, check out the window, check some webcams (you can find them on the internet), and if something looks decent, GO! Don't sit around drinking coffee--you can do that during the afternoon thunderstorm.

Posted by
32909 posts

This is the answer I gave to a similar question with a similar concern just down the Forum:--

Just because there are thunderstorms around - and there are, based on the projections I saw this morning - by no means indicates that there will be storms all day, nor that they will necessarily be where you are.

The Berner Oberland is famous for creating its own weather unlike that just a few miles away.

Often the big storms - if there are any - are in the later afternoon and evening, and the morning in the mountains are often clear in the morning and clouds boil up around lunchtime. They often blow through.

I remember one year having descended to Interlaken for dinner there was an absolutely huge thunderstorm right over me. The light and echoing noise were incredible. I went back up the hill a little later and it hadn't even rained. Sometimes it the opposite. Many years ago before I realized how mistaken I was to stay in Interlaken I was staying at the late lamented Fritz Hutmacher's Hotel Lötschberg when I heard a huge storm all around me. Nothing at Interlaken West but the area between Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken got well hosed down.

Posted by
32909 posts

You can get coffee at the summit and at nearly every change of transport on the way up.

Posted by
740 posts

It will be what it will be.

I was there in mid-July last year for two days and never saw big peaks through the rain and clouds. Have been there in May and had gorgeous views the whole time.

Posted by
433 posts

We were there for two nights. Arrived in late afternoon, and things clouded up, began to rain. Just poured thru the night and figured no way we'd make it up Schiltorn. Woke up early to the get the first car up, was gorgeous sunny. Got up there, 45 minutes of clear skies and then the fog socked in, couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Down below, nice sunny weather. I'm thinking it changes quite quickly and frequently.

Posted by
11294 posts

Just to add to the other replies:

Don't skip the area. But do be prepared to be flexible and make quick decisions. For instance, if the weather's good when you arrive, don't waste time unpacking - get going! Check webcams (at your hotel) and weather each morning, and only then decide what you're going to do that day. And recheck the webcams at the train and cable car stations before going further, particularly for the pricey excursions like the Jungfrau and the Schilthorn. I was startled to see how many people were going up to the Jungfraujoch despite the webcam AT THE STATION showing it was nothing but whiteout with no visibility (I assume they had pre-booked and prepaid - bad idea in this area).

Have backup plans for clouds and rain. Rick's Valley Floor Walk, the folk museum just on the "outskirts" of Lauterbrunnen, the Ballenberg outdoor museum, and the Trummelbach Falls are some alternatives.

Posted by
72 posts

I’m here right now and the weather has been great the last day or so, the forecast was bad. The forecast here in the mountains is fairly meaningless.