Please sign in to post.

Via Ferrata Murren - Gimmelwald

Our family has reserved a guide to take us on the Via Ferrata. We've never done anything like this but are excited. We've been told we need gloves. Please give suggestions as to what type of gloves we should bring.

Thank you so much!

Posted by
5836 posts

Why not ask your guide service? Presumably they would be providing or renting technial equipment. The "Flying Fox" traverse looks interesting and would require specialized equipment. I would also assume that the guide services would go over useing the equipment.

Proper footwear would likely be more critical than gloves but one guide service does suggest light gloves.
https://www.outdoyo.com/activity/via-ferrata-murren/

Clothing: Choose functional wear that wicks away moisture. Use the
principle of layers which enables you to react ideally to any changes
in temperature.

Shoes: For our Via Ferrata courses we recommend light mountain boots
or sturdy trekking boots. If you are buying new boots we suggest you
to wear them in on a couple of walks beforehand to ensure they fit
comfortably. Not qualified: trainers, sneakers, sandals, etc. It's
possible to rent hiking boots by Stäger Sport in Mürren (our meeting
point).

Via Ferrata set: Children weighing less than 50kg will be belayed and
roped up by the mountain guide (the shock absorber of the Via Ferrata
set is too hard for persons weighing less than 50kg).

Posted by
1287 posts

I have a pair of gloves for via ferrata that I bought on my first trip to the Dolomites. In my view they really are necessary. As pointed out above they are fingerless, a little like cycling gloves, but more heavy duty with good padding on the palms and knuckles. My first via ferratas I did without gloves and went straight to a local climbing shop on completion to buy a pair before starting out again the following morning!

If you've hired a guide my guess would be they'll supply you with harnesses and shock absorber systems/karabiners, (check to be on safe side - if they don't, it's possible to hire kit) but clearly they won't supply your footwear which will need to be boots or aggressive climbing shoes as others above have noted.

I love via ferrata-ing and hope you enjoy it too - have a great trip!

Ian

Posted by
1075 posts

I’d recommend watching this video so you know exactly what you’re getting into, esp. because you said you’re taking your family. I am the daredevil of my family but a couple parts gave me pause. I think I’d also be a nervous wreck if I did it with my kids, ha!! https://youtu.be/rWOYx1aOYuQ

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all. This is helpful advise.

Our "kids" are 19 & 21 so I think they'll be fine. Most of the family is worried about me, I think... I may end up like Rick waking up in night sweats after we're done!