Please sign in to post.

Using Credit Cards in Switzerland

Has anyone who recently traveled to Switzerland needed a PIN
code to use their US Credit Card like Capital One or Costco Citi Visa?

Posted by
2661 posts

I was just there in June. Did not need a pin. I was either able to tap and pay or insert the card and sign. I used my chase visa.

Posted by
367 posts

No issues with Citibank Mastercard. Tap to pay. Never have needed a PIN in recent trips over the last few years to Spain, France, Switzerland. Needed PIN only for ATM to get a little cash.

Posted by
6 posts

I have the same question about needing a PIN for a credit card. RS says that some credit card readers may prompt for a PIN. Has anyone encountered that?

Posted by
4385 posts

Some years ago, chip and PIN was a thing in Europe. I purposely got an Andrews FCU credit card so I'd be ready, but every time I went to use it in CH, it would just spit out a receipt to sign. I think I've only had to use the PIN on that card once, in Paris in a taxi at CDG.

Make sure your cards have contactless technology, that is what has replaced PINs.

Posted by
7514 posts

The only time you may run into a PIN being necessary is if you are making a higher dollar purchase at an unmanned kiosk like a ticket machine or gas pump. Any place that has a person, a slip will print out for you to sign, and now for most purchases to can tap.

If you were not set up with a PIN when you received your card, or a replacement, then your card does not offer one, unless optional for cash advances at an ATM (which is not a bad idea to have it in an emergency)

Posted by
17 posts

We were just in Switzerland last month. We used credit cards almost exclusively. We didn't need PINs, although we had them handy just in case. The Swiss, like most of Europe I gather, prefers the tap, but will use the insert chip method if your card doesn't have the tap capability (which my preferred card lacks). BTW a few years ago in Stockholm a taxi driver asked us for a Pine. It took us a few moments to realize he was referring to a PIN, LOL.