Please sign in to post.

Using Credit Cards

We are planning a trip in October. Can we use our Master Card or Visa for almost everything? Also, how much money should we exchange. Where do we sign up for tours? We're flying into Zurich 8:00 a.m. and how can we get onto a train to Lucerne? Sorry for all of these questions.

Posted by
27062 posts

I haven't been to Switzerland recently, so I'm not going to try to answer your questions. However, it sounds to me as if you don't have a guidebook. Switzerland is a very, very expensive place. A guidebook can keep you from making costly mistakes. Rick's books are very good at helping travelers with the type of questions you are asking--plus many others you don't even know you should be asking.

Posted by
8423 posts

rskover, you could use a good guidebook, or spend some time with perusing the links on the menu to the left on this page. Yes, credit cards work over there. Some things are easier done with cash, like pay toilets. Many people like to show up with some cash in hand, although you can get whatever you need from ATMs using your debit card. But you really need to read the Money Tips under Travel Tips on the menu, to understand how things work - it might generate other questions. Notify your bank.
There is a train station right there in the airport at Zurich, walk to it and you can catch a train directly to Luzern or a trip with one change at the Zurich main rail station (Hauptbahnhof).

To what tours are you referring? Surely not the Rick Steves tours?

Posted by
3159 posts

Regarding credit cards and money, go to the Travel Tips section on this website. There’s a whole topic that’s a “must read” on Money if you’ve never traveled to Europe before. Both cards are accepted at most places in Switzerland but smaller businesses might be cash only. Make sure that your cards do not charge you a foreign exchange fee. To get Swiss francs, go to the nearest bank owned ATM machine once you arrive. You’ll find them at the Zurich airport. Make sure your bank does hose you with FX fees on your withdrawals. For FX free cards, check with your issuers or get cards and a bank account from Capital One or Charles Schwab.

You can look for and book tours on line from suppliers such as Viator or go to the TI in Lucerne. There’s a Tourist Information Office in or near the rail station.

You can get the train to Lucerne at the Zurich airport. There are also direct buses that might be less expensive. If you buy the Rick Steves guide to Switzerland, these and many other questions are addressed.

Posted by
996 posts

We are planning a trip in October. Can we use our Master Card or Visa for almost everything? Also, how much money should we exchange. Where do we sign up for tours? We're flying into Zurich 8:00 a.m. and how can we get onto a train to Lucerne? Sorry for all of these questions.

Credit cards - Yes, you can use credit cards for many things in Europe. In my experience, Visa is the most widely accepted card, but I carried three cards with me when I traveled - Visa, MC & American Express - and I carried them in separate locations. You do not want to deal with a lost or stolen credit card while abroad. Yes, you can work around that, but it's an extra hassle which is complicated by the fact that you're not at home.

You will probably need to contact your credit card companies before you leave the US to inform them that you are traveling outside the US so that your card isn't frozen once you try to use it in Europe for unusual spending patterns. You will also need to ask your credit card provider if there are foreign transaction fees for using your card(s) in Switzerland. Some cards charge a fee each time the card is used in Europe. Some don't. I specifically looked for cards which promote no foreign transaction fees.

Money to exchange - Switzerland uses the Swiss franc. You have a couple of options, but a lot of this is based on personal preference. If you have a debit card, you can obtain Swiss francs once you arrive. (If you don't, that's another question entirely.) You can also go by your local bank and purchase a small amount of foreign currency to have on hand before you arrive, in case you're tired and can't immediately locate a working ATM. As pointed out, the money tips section of this site has loads of information which you may want to read before making any plans.

Money in general - While credit cards are widely accepted, you will want to have a small amount of local currency while you travel for small shops which do not accept credit cards. Depending on where you will be in Switzerland, you may find yourself in more or less situations which require cash. A lot depends on where you're going in the country and what you plan to do while you're there. A city vacation is different from a hiking one.

Tours - I'm not sure what you mean by that. Guided day tours? Week long tours? Tours of specific sites? This question is so broad, it will require clarification as the answers vary as well.

Trains - Sorry, I can't address that one. I've only done one train in Switzerland, and it wasn't that one.

Overall - Definitely read up on the travel tips on this site or pick up a good guidebook like the Rick Steves guides. Read the sections on the practical matters of traveling which cover credit cards, cash, transportation and then read up on site specific descriptions of the places you wish to visit. Your questions will probably change once you do, but you can always ask those questions here as well.

A trip to Switzerland sound exciting! I hope you have a wonderful time! :-)

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks for all of your tips. I do have Rick Steves Switzerland 9th edition and I'm reading it from cover to cover. I do have one question that I've not seen covered. When it says that you have to change trains at a certain stop does that mean that you have to purchase another ticket? i.e. Zurich to Belfort, France
If you were in the Lucerne area and only had 2 days, what day trips would you want to take?

Posted by
5835 posts

We visted Switzerland two years ago. Credit cards were widely accepted. I use a Capital One Visa. Towards the end of our stay we had to make a point of spending down our Swis Franc. Train from Zurich airport to Luzern is easy. I think that they were two trains per hour to Luzern, one direct the alternate being one connection at Zurich Hb. Staffed ticket counter at the airport if the automated ticket machines do not work. (Also staffed ticket counter at Luzern). See website for timetable etc: https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Posted by
5835 posts

Train station at Zurich airport: https://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers-and-visitors/access-and-parking/swiss-federal-railways

The SBB travel centre is located below the Airport Center in the
Check-in 3 area. The ticket counters are open from 06:15 a.m. to 10:30
p.m.

Arriving passengers can purchase tickets from the machines in customs
halls 1 and 2. There are also more ticket machines directly next to
the SBB travel centre.

Tickets for trains, trams and buses can be purchased at the SBB ticket
machines (also located in Arrival 1 and 2), the SBB ticket counters,
the Service Center, the switzerlandinfo+ counters or conveniently on
the Internet or via smartphone.

Zurich Airport station: Zürich Flughafen

Zurich city center railstation: Zürich HB

Luzern central station: Luzern

Posted by
32706 posts

Zurich to Belfort, France

That's a little complicated.

You will take any Swiss train to Basel, then change to a French local train. The French trains go from a sub-station which, due to construction, requires you to go outside the station and follow signs along a short walk - leave about 10 or 15 minutes - to the French trains. Since the French TER trains don't vary in price you can use a French machine there to get your ticket from Bâle (French spelling) to Belfort.

You will join a TER heading north towards Strasbourg and get off at Mulhouse where you will transfer again to the train to take you to your destination. That will be all on the Bâle - Belfort ticket.

Before you get on any non-reservation required French train (including all TER local trains) you must put your ticket into a validating machine (usually yellow coloured) and time stamp it. If you don't you could look at a big fine. In French that is "Composter" and you may see a sign "Compostez votre billet" (Validate Your Ticket). A picture and description of the compost automat is at https://help.loco2.com/article/339-validating-tickets-at-the-station

Posted by
1626 posts

Reminder on using credit cards. (And debit cards at ATMs). We found in Switzerland most credit card devices defaulted to USD, be sure to scroll to CHF (Swiss francs). (Called Dynamic conversion, so banks make more money)
Do NOT select USD or your transaction will cost more. CHF to USD to CHF and back to USD, with bank exchange rate charges along the way.