Please sign in to post.

Unusual tourism question

I returned a few months ago from a great trip to Switzerland so we're planning our next European vacation. Thinking Germany would be interesting so have been watching Rick's episodes on same and ... we both have the feeling of been there, done that.

So my question is, is Germany substantially different enough from Switzerland to make it a worthwhile visit? Or would it be more of the same? Or is Switzerland still too fresh in our minds? Several questions, actually.

Posted by
16893 posts

I can understand that perspective, with similarities in language, cuisine, etc. between the two countries. Probably the maximum difference in Germany would be to head toward Berlin, Dresden, and that northern region. Berlin has a very refreshed, big-city culture, lots of museums, the WWII history, and royal sites such as the palaces at Potsdam or palace museums at Dresden. Across the border, Prague is a direct, 5-hour train ride from Berlin.

Posted by
19656 posts

I'll say one thing that is substantially different, prices. I'd say 25% less in Germany.

Posted by
32173 posts

phred,

Although some parts of Switzerland have similar characteristics to Germany (such as a similar language in the central and other parts) there are also some noticeable differences, especially in the west (French speaking) and the south east (Italian speaking). To me Germany seems different in many ways, although some differences may be subtle. My favourite part of Germany is the south (Bavaria), but I agree with Laura that if you want more of a difference then Berlin and the north would be a good choice.

Posted by
139 posts

Switzerland = Germany LIKE California = Oregon.

You can certainly find many similarities between one state and the other in both comparisons, but frankly you are looking at it from a very macro level, i.e. Big City = Big City, Mountain = Mountain, etc.

The differences are at a more local level. The Upper Middle Rhine is a UNESCO World heritage site for a reason - there's only one. Berlin is not Bern (it's not Salzburg either for that matter!). The various medieval walled villages are unique. And so on.

There are enough unique places in both countries to keep you interested for a few more trips I would bet. And while I am both greatly entertained and enlightened by Mr. Steve's books and videos there are substantial swathes of Germany he doesn't really touch on - poor Heidelberg for example seems to get no love at all.

Posted by
7010 posts

Southern Germany, specifically Bavaria is somewhat like Switzerland in that it has the mountain scenery and little villages and it's quite pastoral. However that's just one part of Germany. Go north, especially north of the Rhine, there Germany is substantially different from Switzerland. If you compare parts of Switzerland to parts of Germany, sure there are similarities but compare the whole country of Switzerland to the country of Germany and those similarities disappear. You should definitely visit Germany.

Posted by
4324 posts

Thanks guys and gals, as always a wealth of information.