Hi everyone - my wife and I are in our mid 30s and are planning a trip in September (2021). We're reasonably fit and are looking for a relaxing trip after 2020 :) . I know we're a little late in planning for a trip that's so soon, but it's the only time we can get to Europe in the next year. After reviewing many posts here, I've developed a basic itinerary that is primarily based off a post from Chris F in this forum.
I saw a post where someone said that 3 days in an alpine town is best, so that's why I've got us in Zermatt for 3 days. I've read tons here from folks going back and forth on staying in Zermatt. I'm still a little unsure about Zermatt, I'd like to see some of the Italian region or the Upper Engadine area, but I'm thinking I can save that for a future trip - as Rick says, assume you will return :)
I'm a sucker for trains and I'm especially looking forward to staying in the Berner Oberland region. I'd like to avoid uber touristy areas as much as is reasonable (that's the idea behind staying in Murren for so long) while still seeing some of the major sights.
Would love any feedback you folks may have for us. This forum has been an incredible resource and it's so kind of everyone to spend their precious time helping fellow travelers.
We are planning to arrive in Zurich on Saturday September 4th at 8am and depart Zurich on Sunday September 19th at 10am.
- Chur 1 night
- Zermatt 3 nights
- Montreux area 2 nights
- Murren 6 nights
- Luzern 2 nights
- 1: Fly into Zurich from Newark NJ, train to Chur, sleep Chur
- 2: Train to Zermatt via Glacier Express Route, sleep Zermatt
- 3: Sleep Zermatt
- 4: Sleep Zermatt
- 5: Train to Montreux-Lausanne area, sleep Montreux-Lausanne area
- 6: Sleep Montreux-Lausanne area
- 7: Train to Murren via Golden Pass Route, sleep Murren
- 8: Sleep Murren
- 9: Sleep Murren
- 10: Sleep Murren
- 11: Sleep Murren
- 12: Sleep Murren
- 13: Train to Luzern, Sleep Luzern
- 14: Sleep Luzern, train to Zurich Airport (do I have enough time to do this if my flight is at 10am?)
Thanks so much!