Please sign in to post.

Two Full Days in Lauterbrunnen- Itinerary ideas?

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Switzerland for my 24th birthday in June. We plan on arriving in Lauterbrunnen Wednesday, June 8th and leaving after two full days on Saturday, June 11th. We will be leaving that Saturday for Zurich to catch an overnight train to Berlin.

I was what travel passes you would recommend as well as the best plan of attack for visiting the towns given our short time frame. I would stay longer in Switzerland, but it's just so expensive... compared to where we're going afterwards to Berlin. However, I'm a sucker for small villages. We would like to do some walks and some biking but, I wouldnt say we were overly athletic. I am a little nervous about the lifts because if we dont get a pass Rick's guidebook says it is $80 for one lift one way?

Does anyone know if you can buy the bernese oberland pass at Lauterbrunnen station?

Posted by
544 posts

Consider taking the lift up to Mürren and walking the rest of the way up to Schilthorn (if it's snow free by then). It's a fantastic hike, about 2.5hrs, and then you can have a drink at the top and take the lift back down. An easy hike would be to go to Männlichen and walk to Kleine Scheidegg. If either day is cloudy then Trümmelbach Falls is worth a visit.

As soon as you hike away from the towns and tram stops the crowds really thin out and it's a pretty incredible place. The trails are so well maintained, you are good with athletic clothing, sturdy running shoes/trailrunners, and snack/water/sunscreen.

Posted by
1443 posts

Rail passes are not worth it if you're only there for 2 days. But don't fret, the lifts are not $80. Typical cable cars, say from Stechelberg to Murren, run about about 5 euro but they can add up quickly as you move around the valley. However, certain cable cars or trains to tourist destinations such as the Schilthorn or the Jungfraujoch, can be in the $50-$150 range round-trip.

For someone your age and with your budget concerns, I would very strongly recommend staying in the Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald. It's about $45 per night, clean, safe and it has spectacular views. The people there are the best; it's my favorite place in the world. It's also a springboard to some great hiking. http://www.mountainhostel.com

Posted by
99 posts

Heidi,

I am not sure for your reasoning to traveling to Berlin from Zurich but there is an ICE train that leaves Interlaken Ost and goes to Berlin with 0 train changes. It leave at 6:00 AM and takes 9 1/2 hours.

DB

Posted by
7209 posts

My immediate thought of your itinerary is that you're not spending enough time there. Switzerland is expensive, yes. But there are things you can do to reduce your costs dramatically. Staying in a hostel either in Lauterbrunnen or Gimmelwald will save you lots of money. Check out the Chalet Fontana in Murren for a step up from a hostel, but probably about the same price. Shop in the local grocery store for your food - groceries are about the same price as my home here in Tennessee. If you decide to dine at a restaurant or stay in a hotel - that's when your costs are going to sky rocket.

The lift from Lauterbrunnen up to Murren is 11 chf which translates to a whole lot less than $80.

Posted by
11315 posts

A 4-day pass that will cover your transportation from Interlaken to the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the lifts in the region costs Euro 219. That will also cover your trip back to Interlaken, but there is an extra charge for the Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch. It is a lot of money, but it means you won't fret about every lift you take and can just GO. You can buy the pass in Interlaken.

The walks in Rick's book are great for a first visit. And once you get there if you have time and energy for more, the TI will give you a map to stimulate ideas.

Posted by
69 posts

Thanks everyone for the responses! We're leaving Saturday for the overnight Berlin train to save time (it will cost about the same as if I paid $120 for a hotel anyway) but I thin that gives us some extra time to enjoy the area more since it might only take 2.5 to get to Zurich for a night train.

I'm super relived the lifts to Murren only cost 11 chf - that is doable. Considering how long we will be staying there we may not get a pass at all... Does anyone know where you pay for the lifts before you get on? Is it cash only if you don't have a pass?

Posted by
8440 posts

Heidi, there are ticket windows and attendants at each lift station. Its very-well traveled and accommodating to visitors. If you're in Mürren, there are many well-marked walking trails. Trail maps are all over the place. Its not the remote wilderness area that it might sound like from RS description. Frankly, a lot depends on the weather. If weather is nice, go up as high as you can while its sunny. There will be many locals out hiking and sunning. I don't remember the Schilthorn lift cost, but do remember a discount for the first trip up in the morning. Hiking up or down would eat up too much time for me, and could be dangerous if weather changes.

Posted by
7209 posts

Actually some of the list stations like the Gimmelwald station on the Schilthornbahn sometimes is un-manned. Last Summer we walked from Murren down to Gimmelwald and had planned to jump on the gondola there on down to Stechelberg. Usually we just buy tickets from the attendant - but there was no attendant. Only a sign that said use the automated kiosk which only took cash.

Posted by
10188 posts

Actually the lift tickets to the tops of the mountains are expensive, but in the scheme of things, it's worth splurging. You've paid so much to make it all the way to Switzerland, you are halfway up the mountain in Murren, and when will you be coming back. Just be sure to monitor for fog at the top and go on the first clear day.

Posted by
4392 posts

It's false economy not to visit mountains when in Switzerland, and part of the reason you're there! Get up as high as you can as often as you can, as noted there are lots of online weather resources so you can pick the best day. To help save money avoid sitdown restaurants whenever possible since their prices are awesome.

Posted by
319 posts

We had even less time in that area last June and we had a fantastic time. We were staying in Gimmelwald (at Esther's-totally recommend it!!!) so as soon as we arrived we stashed our bags in the train station in Lauterbruenn and took the train up to the opposite side of the valley to Mannlichen, and then the cable car up to the top of the Kleine Scheidegg. We grabbed a picnic in Mannlichen at the Coop, then picnicked up at a small peak beside the Kleine Scheidegg station-clouds were literally blowing level with us at this height! We did the Kleine Scheidegg hike and it was perfect-and we're not super athletic in our normal lives either. The took a few hours though with a stop for coffee at a little alpine hotel along the way. We just headed over to Gimmelwald and had dinner in Murren that night.
The next day we had planned to take the train up to the Schilithorn but my husband wasn't convinced because of the price. We ended up taking the funicular train a little ways above Murren and doing some hiking on that side of the mountain. I loved seeing the cows walk through the town- my family has cattle in the states. But then our big impromptu decision: we paraglided over the valley! We used Airtime Paragliding and did tandem of course, neither of us had ever done that before, but it was one of the highlights of our 3 week trip! I highly recommend it!!! You just get a running start and the wind lifts you up above the valley. It was super peaceful and relaxing, and we are NOT extreme sports people-believe me! After that we toured Trummelbach falls in the valley and tried to let our experience sink in.

Enjoy your trip, the majesty of the alps cannot be truly seen in photos or described in print!

Posted by
17 posts

It's been awhile (20 years maybe), but you can actually walk from some of the train stations up to the villages from Lauterbrunnen. That is what I did and it is gorgeous! There are easier walks too. Google or find a walking guide. I used a 2 page map for my walks I got I think in town. It was all I needed for planning my days while there. I loved that area!