Please sign in to post.

Trip Planning - June 2020 Switzerland and Italy

Hello,

We (Wife + 2 Boys 14, 10 + myself) are planning a trip to Switzerland and Italy during the 1st part of June 2020 for 12 days. We are planning to be in Italy first and spend time in Rome (4 nights), Florence , Pissa and Tuscany Heights (4 nights together). Rick Steve's site is amazing and we love the information that we have collected so far (I wish I could have done the same with mt prior trip to Paris and Brussels).

I need help in deciding what cities we should visit in Switzerland especially with 2 boys. We, as a family, don't like to rush a lot and hence looking for cities where we can spend relax time along with good sight seeing. We are planning to spend at least 5-6 nights in Switzerland and fly out back home to Los Angeles. Also, appreciate if you could validate if the cities and time (nights) in Italy is OK.

1) Do we also need to have tour guide in Italy, especially in Rome?
2) Is Uber advisable in Italy?
3) Will train travel help in Italy? and Switzerland? - We loved it in Paris and Brussels.

Wish you all a very happy and healthy new year!

Thanks
Manish

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks a lot Kelly. This is really helpful.

What places do you recommend? We are come from Florence after completing our 10 days tour in Italy and planning to spend 4-5 days in Switzerland.

If train is the best option, what cities can be covered easily before we head home (Los Angeles) from Zurich.

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards,
Manish

Posted by
336 posts

You are gonna wish you had another week!!! We did 1 week in each last year. Then 2 weeks in Italy each of the 2 years prior. We love it over there. So many thoughts for you..

1 - since you are leaving from Zurich, I say stay in Murren for several nights (3 or 4) then check out Lucerne for 2 nights. The Bernese Oberland is spectacular with many things the kids might like such as thrill walks, zip lines, hikes etc.. You can train to the Zurich airport from Lucerne on the day of your departure (only about an hour ride).

2 - We used a guide for the Vatican, and for a food tour in Trestavere. We self guided the rest. But I think guided tours can be great, we just did our own thing in Rome. In Florence we also did a food tour and highly recommend it..

3 - The trains will easily take you from Rome all the way to Zurich (right through Interlaken (gateway to the BO)). Renting a car in Tuscany would be a good choice. Other than that, we walked throughout the cities.

4 - The trains are great in Italy and even better in Switzerland (though not cheap). Consider doing a spreadsheet to figure out the best Swiss Pass for you. For the Italian trains, if you can book early you will get good deals.

Good Luck!!!

Posted by
768 posts

Kelly is right. Your boys will love Murren. Mine did. Trails galore, waterfalls, cows, goats, sheep, mountains, cable cars.
To see what we are talking about, click on my name to find a link to our dozen favorite trails in the area. Lauterbrunnen would also be good if you can't find a place in Murren. (You might even consider renting a trailer at www.campingjungfrau.swiss

Posted by
94 posts

To your Rome question, I would suggest a tour guide. We had one for three days and saw so much because he could easily get us around on the public transportation. I think it depends on what you want to see, though. You can certainly sign up for different tours that can help get you around.

Posted by
659 posts

You don't need a tour guide in Rome, so it comes down to your travel style and whether you want one. We spent a week in Rome and used the Rick Steves Guide and audiotours for most of the trip, and it worked well for us because we take turns reading each other the descriptions in the book. While our daughters weren't with us on that trip, we had no problem touring in the same way when they were the ages of your boys. You might mix it up with some half-day tours and time independently at your own pace. But again, it really comes down to your own preferences.

Posted by
1075 posts

I would spend all 4 nights in Murren, or 3 Murren, 2 Lucerne. The Hotel Alpenblick had great two-room family suites with amazing views of the Eiger (in Murren).

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks a lot Caldbunch & Kelly for recommending places. I loved Murren and Lucerne for sure when I googled. It look very pretty.
Thanks Kellly for suggesting hotel - Rooms look very spacious and affordable.
Thanks Shoe for recommending trailer. I never tried it before but I will research for sure.
Thanks Kay & Barbara for your recommendation. I may not need tour guide for the whole journey but I will try for a day in Rome just to get my boys answer their questions. My older one is in 8th grade and he loves Rome history.

Do you recommend me to take the train to Murren/Lucerne from Florence, Italy or should I take the flight to Zurich from Florence? I am still in double mind whether I should cover Switzerland or spend 4-5 extra days in Italy but my family really want to go to Switzerland.

Also, appreciate if you could recommend more places in Switzerland. How is Lauterbrunnen? I heard a lot about it.

Thanks
Manish

Posted by
16247 posts

Lauterbrunnen is the village in the valley below Mürren. You must pass through Lauterbrunnen to reach Mürren. They are both nice, but most people ( including us) prefer to be higher up for nice views. The village of Mürren is car-free so nice for walking.

To reach Lauterbrunnen from Florence, you have a train journey of at least 6 hours with several changes. The 8:55 departure from Florence takes you to LUterbrunnen with only 3 changes. Other scheduled departures have more.

Flying from Florence to Zurich and then taking the train to Lauterbrunnen would take even longer.