Please sign in to post.

Trip 2019

We are planning on taking a trip to Europe in 2019. One of the countries we plan on visiting is Switzerland. My idea (in a perfect world) is to stay in Bern 6-7 days with day trips to Basel, Lucerne and Lausanne. After Bern we would go to Zurich and fly home from there. Has anyone done this before and what was your experience? My intentions are to minimize moving to different apartments/hotels.

Posted by
5697 posts

As many others will no doubt comment, Switzerland is more than cities -- it's mountains! For me, the visit to Mürren and looking out the breakfast room window at Alps so close it felt like you could touch them -- unforgettable!!

Posted by
226 posts

Bern isn't a bad base for touring Switzerland, though a couple of nights in the Berense Oberland are well worth it. Nonetheless, Interlaken, Lucerne, Lausanne, and Basel are each an easy 1-1.5 hour train ride from Bern (2-3 hour round trip). Also, Zermatt is a doable day-trip from Bern, with the right planning (5-hour round trip)

Posted by
3958 posts

We are spending 2+ weeks in Switzerland in July-August this year. We will have a car and are thinking Bern will be a great location for exploring the BO, nearby lakes, Gruyere, Lake Geneva, etc. We had previously spent about 3 weeks in Zug so we are exploring a little more to the west and repeating some favorite locations. I'll let you know how Bern goes!

Posted by
5615 posts

We went to Bern on a day trip from Lucerne. I think a day in Bern would be enough. We especially enjoyed the fountains and the Einstein museum within the History Museum. Basel was another fun city. The Rathuis in particular is unique and stunning. I was there two days. Lucerne in AMAZING. I would want to stay at least two nights in Lucerne, to do just Lucerne. The city is on a river and a huge lake. There are beautiful bridges and charming architecture. A trip to Mt. Rigi is glorious and would take a day. I would suggest basing Lucerne and doing daytrips to Bern and Basel from there. I have not been to Lausanne. The Chateau Chillon in Montreaux, is on the lake with a stunning location. I think its somewhat close to Lausanne.

Posted by
597 posts

Thanks everyone.
I lean more towards touring cities than looking at beautiful scenery, that's why I did not include mountain hikes or similar.
I know I could spend more days in Switzerland but I am also aware that it is one of the most expensive countries in Europe and I am "trying" to save money by not staying too long.
I plan on using public transportation.
Keep the suggestions and comments coming.

Posted by
7209 posts

Staying in the alpine villages in the Berner Oberland of Switzerland doesn't mean that you have to hike! A stroll through the village or a zip down on the gondola to the next village are highlights of my stays in Murren. If you're looking to save money then you should know that cities are the most expensive locations to be. The highlighted and much talked about Chalet Fontana in Murren is about 45chf per person per night...probably slightly less than your city hotels ;-)

If you're taking public transportation all over Switzerland (and you should) you'll still be doing a fair amount of walking/hiking to get to the places you want to visit.

Don't discount the alpine villages because you think you're not a hiker and you think that's all there is to do there. You'll miss the absolute best part of Switzerland if you miss Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen