Please sign in to post.

Traveling with children

Just need clarification on the Swiss Half Fare Card. I understand kids travel for free when traveling with an adult with the card
is that right?
What is the best option for kids We will be there 1 week

Thank you

Posted by
6 posts

Isn't the Swiss Family Card free, and allows kids to travel for free? I am planning on getting the Half Fare cards for the adults and the family card for free travel for the kids. I hope they are free.

Posted by
16028 posts

It is a Family Card that you want, not a Junior Card (which is more appropriate for Swiss residents). The Family Card works in conjunction with a Swiss Travel Pass or tourist (30 day) Half Fare Card. It is free when you request it with your Half Fare Card. Children 15 and under will then travel for free with you.

Posted by
7209 posts

Lola - but if you don't purchase some sort of rail pass and you're just traveling on point-point tickets then you "do" want to buy a Junior Card because it acts just like the free Swiss Family Card...kids are free with parents wherever they travel. We did this on our first trip to Switzerland.

Posted by
16028 posts

Yes, Tim, that is correct. IF one is using point to point tickets in Switzerland and not a pass, then the 30 CHF Junior Card is the way to get free travel for children. Each child needs one.

But the question here is about free travel when parents are using a Half Fare Card. The Family Card can now be requested for free along with the Half Fare Card, and all children under 16 can be listed on that for free travel.