Please sign in to post.

Traveling with an infant

I'm seeking advice to build an itinerary with a combination of some short hikes and cities/village experiences with minimal travel time in Switzerland/Italy.

We'll be in Lake Como, Italy in mid June. Since we've seen parts of Italy in an earlier trip (Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome, Venice, Sienna/Pisa), we wanted to venture into Switzerland. The catch is we're traveling with a 1 yr old. With an infant, we will not be able to do long hikes or spend much time in museums. Currently, the plan is to be in Europe for 7-9 days. With these constraints, if you think another country is worth venturing instead of Switzerland, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
5382 posts

With a 1 year old and a 7-9 day trip, I'd just do one place. The baby will take 3-4 days to adjust to the time change, keeping you up until midnight and then not waking until very late. It's hard. Been there done that so many times. Pick a place where you can venture out easily for 2-3 hours and then be able to come back "home" for naps, etc. You'll also want to stay somewhere that you can prepare your own food. Child friendly places tend to be Mediterranean. In Austria, for example, bringing a 1 year old to a restaurant - you'd get rude looks. Maybe look into a Kinderhotel in the Alps somewhere? We also like the Falkensteiner brand family hotels.