Please sign in to post.

Traveling in Switzerland

Hi all, I’m wondering since I have about eight days in Switzerland would you rent a car or use the trains? Also, what are your top three places to visit in Switzerland?

Posted by
2324 posts

Definitely take the train. You will need a rail pass of some kind anyway to take the gondolas and trains to the places with the best views. They are not accessible by car. Why pay for both the rail pas AND rental car + parking + gas?

We had a car because we were traveling for 3 weeks all over Europe. We spent 5 nights in Wengen and the car was parked in the garage in Lauterbrunnen the entire time. Trains are so easy, no traffic, and everyone enjoys the view.

Posted by
267 posts

Definetely take the trains and get Swiss Pass or half fare card and /or Regional Pass… luv the Lauterbrunnen Valley for scenery and hikes and Zermatt.

Posted by
11339 posts

What time of year and what do you like to do? Are you interested in hiking or scenic walks? Just riding to see the scenery? Museums? Wine? Adventures like zip lines or mountain biking?

Switzerland has it all so help us steer you.

Do you have 8 full days on the ground, or more like 6 with an arrival and departure day?

I concur with the others: trains all the way. I am i Lauterbrunnen now and you should see all the confused drivers going on the wrong roads and generally making life difficult for themselves and others in this very small town. In 10 years of travel to Switzerland I think we’ve used one taxi and never rented a car; trains, buses, cable ways, boats, and feet will get you where you need to go!

Posted by
874 posts

After using a car and train I would suggest trains…..SO MUCH easier……and my favorite places to visit are Wengen, Lucern and Stein Am Rhine………just delightful

Posted by
25 posts

I start in Zurich and must end in Basel. I’ll be in Basel for 2 days so. After landing Zürich I will have six days. We love scenery and light hiking and learning about culture and eating good food. Thanks for your response

Posted by
20174 posts

Train direct from the airport to Luzern, stay 2 nights. Then train to Berner Oberland (Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Muerren), stay 3 or 4 nights. Then train to Basel.

Posted by
79 posts

No car. Son Ian & I just returned from 10 days in Schweiz (followed by 2 in Salzburg, 4 in Munich). 22 Sept--1 Oct 23.

We traveled on Swiss trains literally dozens of times with a half fare card. A car would have been a hinderance w/parking, less scenic (hard to view while driving). Trains were so clean, so available, so impressive--& as RS writes: every train in Switzerland is scenic. Train prices w/half fare card were incredibly cheap.

Our 4 places were Vevey on Lake Geneva, Murren in the Berner Oberland, Luzern, Appenzell. Cruises on the lakes, lifts galore in the mts, funiculars, soccer in Lausanne, art & gin tasting in Luzern, relaxed exploration for experiences and food (as back door as possible) everywhere.

Posted by
27 posts

I loved Zurich. We stayed in Thalwil outside of downtown Zurich. You can take the boat into town. Or train.
Loved Grindlewald. Very beautiful. Camped there many years ago.
Gruyeres is a cute small town. Or go to Lucerne.
A nice variety of places..