Please sign in to post.

Traveling by train from Zurich to Salzburg June 2022

The Covid testing entry and testing requirements to get into Austria and Germany seem to change daily!!
It looks like a PCR test is needed if vaccinated by not boosted.

Assume the test / results are needed before getting on the train to go to Austria and into Germany
Questions:

We have the video tests from eMed. Will Austria and Germany accept those results? cannot tell from their websites.

Are there testing sites at the Zurich train station?

Thank you!
Mary

Posted by
6889 posts

Is there any way you could get boosted before your trip? While available, PCR testing is expensive in Switzerland (about 150 francs, which is roughly the same or a hair more in US dollars).
I doubt that any European country will accept one of those "proctored" video tests, and it is not PCR anyway.

In any case, things can still change until June, so keep checking! The trend across Europe seems to be dropping testing requirements.

Also, I do not know if you are actually going to Germany after, but while the train to Salzburg from Zürich cross Germany, it does not stop in Germany and it does not count as entering Germany.

Posted by
5382 posts

You should know that it typically takes 24 hours to get a PCR test result.

By June who knows what the entry requirements will be. Wait until your trip is closer.

Posted by
1638 posts

There are no checks prior to boarding the train. Any checks will be done by the border guards when the train crosses in the Austria.
I have travelled that route several times in the last months, and never was asked to show any COVID related docs, but that does not mean that they may not be asked. So be sure to comply.
And that means getting boosted, or getting a test that results in a document with a proper QR code readable by the guards on the train.