Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

We signed up for a trip next May that we can cancel through Rick Steves for any reason up to a certain time frame. My question is about obtaining travel insurance - they suggest that doing so within 15 days of the trip may save money. My questions are 2 fold - we can't even attempt to get flights yet because they aren't listed that far out so staying the trip cost would be a guess. The second is if we buy the insurance now and then elect to cancel the trip through Rick Steves we would get a full refund - would the insurance also be refunded if we cancelled the trip that way or are we out the insurance money?

Posted by
8423 posts

The way it works (assuming you're looking at Travel Guard), is that each time you spend money, you add it to the coverage, and it bumps up the price. That is, if you get coverage now, it will cover the cost of the tour. When you do book your flights, you call TG and tell them how much the flights cost, and they will charge an additional fee.

Its worth it to call them on the special number for RSE customers, and ask the live human for explanations, and guidance on policies.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you. Called the number and they were very helpful. They said that if we decide to cancel trip before the 12/31 fully refundable deadline that we could get our insurance premium refunded.

Posted by
4675 posts

I'm assuming that the advantage of buying travel insurance within 15 days is to get the coverage for pre-existing conditions. Most policies I've dealt with are designed with that provision.
Safe travels!

Posted by
3 posts

Yes, pre-existing conditions waiver is included if you buy within the 15 days

Posted by
4385 posts

you should take this to General Europe or Covid for a broader reach