Please sign in to post.

Travel from Zurich to Salzburg Sept 2019

Would it be better to take an overnight train from Zurich to Salzburgh or take a day train? Is there a difference in train rate?

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your information, really appreciated. If we take an early train from Zur to Salz, is there a very early train like 7 am from Lucerne to Zur since we are staying in Lucerne? It seems we are better off departing from Zur for Salz instead of Luc to Salz. Do I need to buy in advance the Zur to Salz train ticket in advance or can we buy it when we get there like a day before going to Salz?

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you so much for the links and your suggestions, really appreciated! What Zurich station are we departing from for Salzburg? That is after we arrive in our train from Lucerne to Zurich. Pardon these questions because I do not know if there are multiple stations in Zurich as a departure city for Salzburg.

Posted by
19645 posts

While there are other stations in Zurich, they are minor little things. Zurich Hbf, where you will arrive from Luzern, is the same one you depart from going to Salzburg.

Posted by
8889 posts

What Zurich station are we departing from for Salzburg? That is after we arrive in our train from Lucerne to Zurich.

In general that is what the rail timetable website will tell you.
If you go to the SBB website: https://www.sbb.ch/en/
And look up Luzern to Salzburg, it will give you an answer telling you which trains and where and when to change.
You do not need to "guess" the interchange points and look up the various legs individually. That is a recipe for not getting the optimium routing.

Posted by
6783 posts

The morning train from Zürich HB to Salzburg leaves at an ungodly 6.40 AM, yet you can still take it from Luzern thanks to a 5.28 AM train from Luzern to Zürich HB. This gets you to Salzburg by midday. But frankly I'd leave later and arrive more refreshed mid-afternoon.