Please sign in to post.

Transportation to Murren

What are my choices on getting up to Murren from Lauterbrunnen ? I have a fear of heights and would like the least challenging route to get there.

Thank you for your help.

Posted by
7811 posts

Avoid or close your eyes on the Gondola from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp on the way to Murren that is the way I went.

Posted by
16190 posts

There are two ways to get to Muerren from Lauterbrunnen, but the one I would definitely recommend for the height-challenged would be the cablecar directly up to Grutschalp from Lauterbrunnen, NOT the cablecar that goes up from Stechelberg a bus ride away.

The Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp cable car is large and sturdy, and it does not go very high off the ground. It follows up the cleared path of the old funicular. For riding up, I suggest you more to the front and look uphill. You will see that you are quite close to the ground. At Grutschalp, you leave the cablecar and transfer to a little train that takes you the last bit to Muerren.

Posted by
1075 posts

As Lola said, the cable car isn't that high off the ground. And it's very large and stable. Plus it was pretty crowded on the way up so I couldn't see well out the window anyway. (Much less crowded going back down from Murren to Lauterbrunnen). Short ride that wasn't stressful.

Posted by
7209 posts

I think I’m one of those that goes weak in the knees when confronted with dizzying heights. But I’m in Murren every year, and I’ve never had any problems on the gondola to Grutscalp.

Posted by
64 posts

Thank you for the advice. I posted this for our friends who are going to Switzerland for the first time . In our past visits to Murren I thought there might have been a road going up there that stopped outside of town. I guess I was wrong.
I had basically said the same thing to my friend who hates heights about the gondola ride.

Posted by
11294 posts

There are roads in Muerren, but they are only for utility vehicles (which look like tractors). Above Lauterbrunnen, there are no cars or buses.

In addition to being easier for someone with fear of heights, the route through Gruetschalp is also faster than the route through Stechelberg.

Do follow the advice above, of facing "forward" in the cable car on the way up, and "backward" on the way down. You'll see the ground just a few feet below the cable car.

You'll do fine on the Allmendhubel, which is a funicular at ground level. However, you'll want to close you eyes if you take the cable cars that go from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald to Muerren to Birg to Schilthorn (one route, several different cable cars). My sister in law wasn't even able to watch the videos I took on these!