Please sign in to post.

Train travel question

I want to travel from Montreux to Salzburg Austria and stop in Luzern. Can I travel the Golden Pass from Montreux to Luzern and then a regular train to Salzburg? My book only talks about the scenic route coming from Luzern to Montreux.

Posted by
8889 posts

Can I travel the Golden Pass from Montreux to Luzern and then a regular train to Salzburg? My book only talks about the scenic route coming from Luzern to Montreux.

This is a standard misunderstanding. All rail lines in Switzerland, and all stations, have at least one train per hour in each direction.
The "Golden Pass" is an extra limited stop train for tourists with panoramic windows. You see exactly the same mountains out the window on one of the regular hourly trains.
Your book is misleading you, you can travel on any train in either direction.
Note that Montreux to Luzern is not one train, you have to change trains at Zweisimmen, Spiez and Interlaken whether you go on the regular trains or on the tourist Golden Pass Express.

The same applies to the "Glacier Express" and the "Bernina Express", they are extra trains on top of the hourly service.