Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in Switzerland

We are flying into Paris and then tour France by car catching the many sights you describe in your book. We then plan on catching a train in Montreux, Switzerland and taking it to Zermatt for 3 days.
My question, is there long term parking at the Montreux train station? If so, how much does it cost daily?
Is this a good plan or would you suggest something different?
After Zermatt, we plan to drive down to Chamonix for a few days before heading west in France and eventually back to to Paris..

Thank you for your help,

Phil Hendershott

Posted by
20081 posts

My thought that you have a rental car that you want to hold onto and go to Zermatt, you should just drive to Taesch and park there and take the short shuttle train to Zermatt and back. The parking at Taesch is definitely available long term. Afterward, it is shorter to drive to Chamonix directly via Vallorcine than going all the way back to Montreux to get the car then driving to Chamonix.

Be sure to purchase a Swiss vignette and properly attach it to the car's windshield at the Swiss border.

Posted by
338 posts

Hello

I agree with Sam. The drive to Taesch will be spectacular and you might want to make some scenic stops along the way which you won’t be able to do on the railway. Enjoy Montreux. I was there for the jazz festival a couple of years ago. It’s a remarkable setting and I loved being able to say hello to the Freddie Mercury statue.

Best of luck.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the info, driving to Taesch was a definite consideration, we just thought taking a train ride through the mountains would be nice.

Phil

Posted by
20081 posts

The road takes the same route as the train, so at least the passenger will get some nice views. And as was said, you can always pull over and take some pics.