Please sign in to post.

Train travel between countries

Hello, I’m trying to figure out if I need to book train tickets in advance for late July if we want to travel from Munich to St Gallen and then St Gallen down to Milan? We do want pretty specific times, but you just never know if plans change, or we are running late, etc. also should i be buying some sort of train pass with these 2 train trips. There are probably the only 2 trains we will take in Switzerland this trip. thanks!

Posted by
20799 posts

Yes, book in advance, There are several direct EC trains from Munich to St Gallen (every 2 hours. Buy tickets at https://int.bahn.de/en
There are trains every hour from St Gallen to Milan after a train change in Zurich. Buy tickets at www.sbbh.ch/en

At this late date, you only save a little buying nonrefundable now. No pass will save you any money on this.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much!! So if it says St. Gallen (CH), is that the main train station? There are several St Gallen options, but I think there is only one train station?

Posted by
20799 posts

Yes, St Gallen (CH). The "CH" indicates that it is in Switzerland.

Posted by
6 posts

Ok thanks again! I have not been to Switzerland in 19 years and I guess i forgot all of this!

Posted by
2330 posts

You do not need to book this in advance. You will normally be able to get tickets even at the last moment. Booking in advance does give you significant discounts however. Have a look on bahn.com and compare a Sparpreis with a Flexpreis for example. If you buy a ticket at the last moment only the Flexpreis will be available.