Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

We will be using a flex pass for some parts of our train travel and a half-fare card for other parts. I have a question regarding purchasing individual half-fare tickets. When we purchase an individual ticket, is that ticket (1) issued for a specific train departure time, (2) is it valid for any train departing on the day of purchase, or (3) is it good any day? When I was first researching departure times for specific trains, I believe there were sometimes different fares for the same route for different departure times, in which case it seems (2) and (3) wouldn't be the case. My concern is that we purchase an individual ticket for a specific departure time and for some reason we miss the train, in which case can we take a later train on the same ticket. Thanks for your assistance.

Posted by
20031 posts

Can you give us an example?
I see if you specify Zermatt to Muerren (Schilthornbahn) you do get two different prices, but only the one going to Muerren BLM gets you all the way to Muerren. The route using the bus and Schilthornbahn cable car to Muerren shows a lower price. The notes state that this price does not include the transport from Lauterbrunnen, which is on your own. Why? Don't know.
Specify Muerren BLM and your ticket will get you all the way to Muerren if you use the lift to Grutschalp, then the BLM train to Muerren.
Otherwise, the ticket should be good all day.

Posted by
16893 posts

Also, a few higher-mountain routes like Muerren-Schilthorn or Wengen-Jungfraujoch can have early morning/off-peak discounts tickets good for an outbound trip within a specific time frame. This is not the case for typical train tickets between towns.

Posted by
8889 posts

The answer is (2). Yes, some mountain railways have discounts before a certain time in the morning, but otherwise a Swiss rail ticket is valid on any train on that day. By default tickets are valid on the day of purchase, but you can buy tickets for future dates if you want to.
You cannot even buy a ticket "for a specific departure time".