Please sign in to post.

Train questions

Hi, my hubby ,son and I are going to be in Lucern for New Years eve. Not set in stone yet , hoping it will be a great place to celebrate NYE. We would like to take a scenic train trip , but I'm getting confused ...any suggestions on cute towns to ride up to and stay a nite or 2 ?? We love mountains and authentic small towns. Its been 20 years since we were last in Switzerland. We fly back home on the 4th from Zurich. Many Thanks for helping this confused gal.
Oh, why are the Christmas markets closed so early?? I saw some are over Dec 24.

Posted by
6406 posts

Oh, why are the Christmas markets closed so early?? I saw some are
over Dec 24.

The point of a Christmas market is a place to buy (and sell) things needed for Christmas. Food, decorations, gifts etc. So they normally close on the 22nd or 23, because people don't buy Christmas decorations on the 27th.

Posted by
4719 posts

Most European countries really value family time during the Holidays. The markets close so the vendors can celebrate with their loved ones.
Many of the Alpine towns may have a minimum night stay during the holidays, and the beginning of ski season. Research available options on booking.com. Most folks book months in advance, so good luck.
Safe travels.

Posted by
101 posts

Thanks!! Family is definitely more important.