Please sign in to post.

Train passes

We are going to Switzerland next month and are wondering if we can buy our half fare cards and Berner Oberland rail passes at the Zurich airport train station reliably or should we buy on line. I don't feel good about paper tickets from my printer.

Posted by
4726 posts

The nice thing about buying in advance is having an electronic copy, that one can put in the Apple Wallet. Therefore, no worries about misplacing a paper copy. Safe travels!

Posted by
2323 posts

We bought paper Half Fare Cards and BO passes at the train station. It was a pain. You need to scan a code for entry at some train stations at at all gondolas. The paper tickets don’t have a code. There’s a barcode on the back but it didn’t work. So we always had to flag down a worker who could let us through the turnstiles. If we lost those paper tickets we would have been screwed.

If you purchase online, you’ll get a QR code. Screenshot it and save it to your phone so you can open it without using data. I would also print out copies at home. Then you just scan the QR code at the turnstile. Much easier.

Posted by
2679 posts

I don't feel good about paper tickets from my printer.

I always print out multiple copies. I keep 1 in my day bag and extras in my suitcase. Just in case. 😊